- Health Supportive
- Can work with Limited Kitchen
- Enjoy Teaching
- Event Catering
- Molecular Gastronomy
Vegan and Raw African-based but international and unique: a product of being African, born and bred in New York City and having travelled the country and the world
I have prepared both raw and cooked vegan meals for both large and small quantities of people in Africa and in the U.S. - including an entire restaurant of patrons at Farafina's in Harlem - and thus far I have received only rave reviews. I've been given such feedback as "I daydream about your food when I walk down the street" (S.M - professional dancer), and "Your food is so good it's criminal. You should be arrested for this." (T.M. - visual artist). These are just two comments that I have received and thus far there are many people who have expressed that my food and drink creations are exceptional and no one yet who has spoken otherwise.
In my opinion, however, the most important aspect of my food preparation is that it is always produced with nutrition and wellness in mind. That has become second nature for me. When I prepare food, I focus on producing properly combined and exceptionally flavorful vegan and raw whole foods with an eclectic variety of herbs, spices and superfoods. Proper food combination is a vital feature of my cooking and raw food prep and I employ it for its implications towards optimal digestion and overall wellness. My cooking is diverse and international, inspired and influenced by my contact with the myriad cultures that have found a home in New York City (where I was born and raised) and my domestic and international travels. Although, I don't travel often, to date I have travelled to and explored food in Nigeria, South Africa, England, France and Canada and domestically in New Orleans, Miami, Albuquerque, Atlanta, Los Angeles and Houston amongst other places. Because of this you will discover a number of diverse flavors in the foods and drinks that I prepare including but by no means limited to ginger, basil, cilantro, Cajun spice, and cayenne (but not too much) and tropical products – especially coconut, avocado and palm fruit products. It is a fact in the science of nutrition that one must consume a variety of foods in one’s diet in order to maintain an above average nutritional status. Accordingly , I have become adept at utilizing various – mostly uncommon - grains, land and sea vegetables, fruits, seeds and nuts in the main course dishes, drinks, snacks and desserts that I prepare.
• I am continuously discovering new flavors and creating new recipes and consequently I offer exclusive dishes that have flavors and textures that are incomparable
• I can prepare fermented products which are very healthy for detox and digestion. I have kombucha cultures and have been safely fermenting kombucha – a wonderful tonic – for 2 years and would love to share this treat with more people.
• I buy only the freshest ingredients – organic and non-GMO - and I always read the food labels of absolutely every food and drink that I purchase. I regularly shop at the Park Slope Food Co-op, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and Integral Yoga Apothecary (for loose teas and herbs)
• Because of my educational training and natural affinity towards cleanliness, I possess and apply my full knowledge of food safety and sanitation in the kitchen. I wash food and utensils thoroughly and wash hands regularly throughout the day and especially while preparing food in the kitchen
147 Van Brunt St. • Brooklyn, NY 11231
Phone 917-202-8102 • E-mail Amakuu@gmail.com
Seeking a position involving either holistic nutrition, herbs/vitamins/supplements, holistic fitness, corporate wellness, or raw/vegan culinary arts
Summary of certifications and skills
Skills include: helping people to achieve health and wellness, researching nutrition, medical, environmental health and wellness topics, lecturing/conducting workshops on nutrition and wellness
Raw nutritional foods and drinks preparation and vegan cooking
Recipe development and menu planning
Food Protection Certified by NYC Dept. of HMH
September 2004 – present City University of New York -Brooklyn College Brooklyn, NY
B.S. Health and Nutrition Sciences, Pre-medical studies
B.A. Art History
January 2009 – July 2009 Institute for Integrative Nutrition New York, NY
March 2010 – May 2011 The Vitamin Shoppe, Inc. North Bergen, NJ
Assisted the Vitamin Shoppe stores and individual customers with general health and nutrition inquiries as well as product information, liaised between supplement companies and merchandising team
October 2008 – October 2009 InVite Health New York, NY Nutritional Supplement Sales Associate
Assisted patrons of the store in acquiring the appropriate herbs, supplements or homeopathic remedies that would help to support health during illness or increase an overall state of wellness.
September 2008 – September 2009 Settlement Health and Medical Services New York, NY
Medical Library Assistant
Provided health counseling to the clinic’s patients in the absence of a nutritionist and provided patients with information about health and nutrition topics and medical diagnoses.
January - May 2006 City Harvest New York, NY
Community Nutrition Education Instructor
Taught a class called Eating Right in which adults were taught basic cooking, nutrition and sanitation skills and how to eat healthy on a budget.
Proficient in the Spanish language.
Palm oil, coconut and ginger
1) Seasoned Jasmine and Basmati rice with veggies
2) 17-Bean soup with ginger, basil, cilantro, onions, carrots and veggies
3) Raw Red Cabbage salad with cilantro, parsley and ginger topped with my own special Palm-oil dressing and nutritional yeast