Sweet and Easy with a Cake Mix
Cake mixes are just dry ingredients already combined for you. You can use them in many other recipes besides cakes: these bar cookies are one of my favorites.
When you use a cake mix, make sure that you buy the size of mix specified in the recipe. There are one-layer and two-layer cake mixes on the market; mix them up and you’ll have a mess!
Graham cracker crumbs add great texture and flavor to this easy recipe. If you’d like, you can use another flavor of pie filling – but try this version at least once. The tartness of the apricots is the perfect complement to the sweet and nutty crust and topping. Yum.
Apricot Bar Cookies
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (21 ounce) can apricot pie filling
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the bottom of a 13×9″ pan with nonstick cooking spray containing flour and set aside.
In large bowl, combine cake mix, 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 cup softened butter; mix until crumbs form. Measure out 1 cup of this crumbly mixture and set aside. Add egg to remaining crumbs and mix until blended. Press into prepared pan; bake for 10-14 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Meanwhile, combine the 1 cup reserved crumbs with walnuts, brown sugar, 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, and 2 Tbsp. butter; mix until crumbly.
Remove crust from oven and top with apricot pie filling. Sprinkle crumb mixture over filling. Bake for 15-20 minutes longer or until bars are golden brown. Cool completely. Yields 36 bar cookies.
- 5 Best Zoodle Makers for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Italian Cuisine Cookbooks for Your Kitchen
- Pumpkin Pie as Thanksgiving’s Mascot
- How to Peel Sweet Potatoes the Easy Way
- Simple Gingerbread House Recipe
- 5 Best Indoor Compost Bins For Your Kitchen
- 5 Best Bread Knife for your Kitchen
- 3 Best Kombucha Brands (2020 Guide)
- 5 Best Ramekins and Souffle Dishes for your Kitchen
- Yummy Pearl’s Cherry Muffins Recipe