The versatility of hamloaf is easily seen here. This main dish meat can be prepared a few days in advance, baked in an oven or a crockpot. It can be enjoyed warm or cold. Hamloaf is complemented by most vegetables, pasta dishes, breads and fruits. The following recipe makes 8 servings.
The Delicious Hamloaf Recipe
What You Will Need
- 2 pound of ground ham or prepared hamloaf meat
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 and 1/2 cups of Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- 1 teaspoon of parsley
- salt and pepper
Putting it Together
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9″ x 5″ x 3″ loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Mix together all of the ingredients.
- Pack the meat mixture lightly into the loaf pan.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Let the loaf “rest” for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Substitutions for the Hamloaf Recipe
Try one of these ideas:
- Use 1 pound of ground ham and 1 pound of ground beef
- Replace 1 cup of milk with 1 cup of tomato juice, V-8 or pineapple juice
- Before baking, top the loaf with A-1, Heinze 57, ketchup, barbeque or honey barbeque sauce
- Top the loaf with pineapple or apple slices before baking
Some dishes that go great with hamloaf include all types of potatoes including mashed, scalloped and baked potatoes. Baked potatoes can be prepared and baked in the oven at the same time the hamloaf is baking. Baked beans are another dish that can share the oven while being cooked. Other vegetables that complement hamloaf include green beans, steamed broccoli, cauliflower or Brussels sprouts, or even a fresh lettuce salad. To round out a meal, serve with toasted French bread slices and sliced fresh fruit.
This hamloaf recipe is easy to put together the night before and store covered in the refrigerator and baked fresh for dinner the following evening. It is also able to be placed in a crockpot in the morning and cooked on medium for 6 to 8 hours. Hamloaf goes well with many other dishes and can easily be taken to a potluck or family gathering meal.
Serving leftover hamloaf is also quite tasty. It can be enjoyed cold or warmed up. Slices can be put between bread and offered with barbeque sauce, ketchup or mustard. It may also be served with a sauce made of 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise and horseradish to taste. Other ideas for leftovers include dicing the meat and adding it to a creamy potato or bean soup, or tossing it into a garden salad.
Hamloaf Sandwich Spread
A baked hamloaf can also be made into a sandwich spread.
This is what you need:
- 1 cup of ground baked hamloaf
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/2 tablespoon of mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon of pickle relish
- 1 boiled egg, diced
Here is what you do:
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Store in the refrigerator in a covered container for at least an hour.
- Serve on bread, buns or croissants.
Almost any way that hamloaf is made, a delicious, easy and inexpensive meal can be prepared and served tonight. Whether it needs to be prepared ahead of time or mixed that evening, this hamloaf recipe is cure to become a family favorite in any household.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Does it make sense to use disposable baking pans?
- 5 Best Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Sets for Your Kitchen
- Why Use a Dutch Oven for Soup?
- 10 Best Sous Vide Machines for your Kitchen
- Mother’s Day Gifts For The Baker In Your Life
- The Healthiest Way to Boost the Dietary Fiber Content of Your Bread
- Homemade Baking Mix Recipes
- 10 Best Ginger Beers for Your Fridge (2020)
- 5 Best Bread Knife for your Kitchen
- Caring for Your Cast Iron Cookware