Our top 3 teriyaki sauce recommendations here can make it quicker and simpler for you to determine the most suitable brand for your exact preferences. So if you love teriyaki sauce because of its taste and health benefits, then this list is definitely for you. Remember, teriyaki sauce is rich in iron, which is really good for relieving fatigue and stress.
Also, teriyaki sauce contains phosphorus, which is known to improve kidney health. And it’s also rich in magnesium, which promotes efficient blood pressure regulation. But of course, what we like about it is, teriyaki sauce adds much-needed flavor and aroma to certain recipes and dishes.
So while we were fixating on these things, we decided to create a list of the 3 best teriyaki sauce brands this year. That was when we went to Amazon and a few other shopping platforms on the Web to look at their best-seller lists. Our purpose was to spot the most popular teriyaki sauce brands today. We also contacted our friends and loved ones to request for their recommendations.
Plus, we sent surveys to our fellow home cooks, pro chefs, and veteran foodies at the local and online communities where we frequently visit to talk about related stuff. This enabled us to trim our shortlist down to 10 top-rated teriyaki sauce brands. This of course allowed us to test each product in more cost-effective ways, so we formed a diverse group of testers for this. And after carefully assessing our survey data, extensive research and test results — Here’s a summary of our findings:
Best Teriyaki Sauce Review Center
|#1 - Kikkoman Gluten-Free Teriyaki Sauce ||99%|
|#2 - Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce ||95%|
|#3 - Bourbon Barrel Kentuckyaki ||93%|
We highly recommend these 3 teriyaki sauce products. Just head on over to our detailed reviews so you can find out why we really like these brands. And once you’re ready, hit the yellow button to get the best price on Amazon today!
#1 – Kikkoman Gluten-Free Teriyaki Sauce
Kikkoman has garnered a reputation for producing the best condiments, mainly for Japanese cuisine. Their gluten-free teriyaki sauce has been out in the market for over 45 years, and the quality of this product is the main reason why it continues to leave a lasting impression to foodies and cooks all around the world. Kikkoman’s teriyaki sauce has a sweet and savory flavor, along with a lovely, rich-looking mahogany glaze. It was originally comprised of a simple mixture of soy sauce and mirin, also known as Japanese cooking wine. But soon after, other ingredients were added to it to improve flavor, including brown sugar, green onions, and pineapple sauce.
- This teriyaki sauce comes in a glass bottle, so be careful when handling the product;
- Its bottle measures 2.3 x 2.3 x 8 inches;
- Shipping weight is over 1.4 lbs., while the bottle itself can hold up to 10.1 ounces of teriyaki sauce; and
- This product is made from rice and not wheat, compared to other teriyaki sauce brands.
- As this product’s gluten-free, it’s especially the best teriyaki sauce for those with celiac disease;
- Its flavor is very mild and not too overwhelming, unlike other teriyaki sauce brands;
- Since Kikkoman is a renowned company, you can find their teriyaki sauce in many stores, supermarkets, and online shopping platforms; and
- The sweetness of this teriyaki sauce makes it an excellent partner for dishes like chicken, beef, rice, or fish. And it’s also great with any food that is broiled, roasted, grilled, and braised.
#2 – Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce
Using this teriyaki marinade and sauce ensures that you can eat the most sumptuous meals anytime you like. It works excellently both as a marinade and as a sauce, hence its name. Pour it over your favorite dishes like fish, chicken, pork, beef, and vegetables, then leave it to marinate for 30 minutes before you cook it to your preference. This teriyaki sauce is comprised of natural ingredients, including wine and soy sauce, without any chemicals and preservatives. You can use it freely on any dish that has been grilled, fried, or broiled.
- Shipping weight is 5 lbs.;
- The jug holds around 64 ounces of pure teriyaki sauce; and
- Bottle dimensions are 8.7 x 6.3 x 7.1 inches.
- Comes in a rather huge container, so you won’t run out of teriyaki sauce too quickly, especially if you intend to use this as a marinade;
- This teriyaki sauce gets the job done for marinating chicken, especially when you don’t feel like preparing something fancy; and
- The price of this product is quite reasonable, especially for a container of this size, and also very economical.
#3 – Bourbon Barrel Kentuckyaki
This is a bourbon-type teriyaki marinade that’s made from fresh ingredients, such as ginger and garlic. Not only does it work excellently as a sauce, but it also doubles as a marinade. This means you can go right ahead and use it in your chicken, beef, and salmon, or in your stir-fried vegetable dishes. The ingredients used for this product are all-natural, so you won’t be placing harmful preservatives and artificial coloring in your food. It’s also low in sugar, and makes a great vegetarian or vegan option. It’s a good marinade for steak, pork, salmon, and chicken-based dishes.
- Comes in a container, unlike the average bourbon liquor that Kentucky’s famous for;
- Each Kentuckyaki bottle holds 375 liters of teriyaki sauce;
- The soybeans used to make this product is non-GMO;
- Main ingredients include apple cider, sorghum sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and a hint of bourbon; and
- Shipping weight is only 1 lbs.
- Not as salty as other brands. In fact, you can even use it as a substitute for soy sauce. And the lack of saltiness makes it a great teriyaki sauce for those who want a low-sodium diet;
- Consistency is just in the right thickness;
- Works well on both hot and cold dishes. The flavor also lasts long, even if the bottle has been opened for weeks;
- The flavors are very bold, so use it sparingly. But it packs a punch and gives life to your dishes; and
- It also comes in a spicy variant, in case you want to add a bit of zing to your Asian dishes.
Teriyaki Sauce Buyer’s Guide
There were plenty of factors that we considered while trying out these three amazing teriyaki sauce brands. Some of the more seasoned chefs will just whip up their own recipe. But buying any of these three brands also works great. We also sought the advice of our pro chef peers, so they can help us look for these factors. The texture, the taste, and the price of these products were the 3 main factors that helped us in our search for the 3 best teriyaki sauce brands today. For instance, the sauce should have a great balance of sweetness and saltiness, and should not be too runny, with a consistency similar to soy sauce. So here’s our checklist for your convenience:
What Makes Teriyaki Sauce Suitable for Your Exact Needs?
- Flavoring — As mentioned, this sauce must have an excellent balance between saltiness and sweetness. Sauces that don’t have too much sodium taste a bit bland, while excessive sugar or salt can make it seem cloying;
- Consistency — In teriyaki sauce, consistency really matters. Each sauce can either be viscous, thin, runny, or goopy. Authentic teriyaki sauce usually has a thinner consistency, almost similar to soy sauce;
- Don’t discard thicker teriyaki sauces — Thicker teriyaki sauces are excellent when you want to make stir-fries and marinades, because these types of sauces can get inside the meat to provide a bolder flavor; and
- Ingredients do matter — For marinating, the teriyaki sauce of your choice should not contain any thickening agents. It shouldn’t also be too slimy or gloppy. Instead, sugar in teriyaki sauce should caramelize your meat and give it a beautiful brown glaze.
Teriyaki Sauce FAQs
What are the ingredients that go into teriyaki sauce?
Traditional teriyaki sauce has four ingredients, namely: Soy sauce, Sake or Mirin (if you want an alcohol-free substitute), Ginger, and Sugar. Teriyaki is often considered to be the most basic Asian marinade. As mentioned, you can also make your very own teriyaki sauce or marinade, using some very basic ingredients.
How long should I marinate my food in teriyaki sauce before cooking?
It depends, really. The average time is usually 30 minutes. However, a tester of ours soaked her chicken for over 2 hours and found out that it produced the best flavor. Just don’t soak your food too much. After all, reducing the mixture can cause the sauce to get glossy and thick. This is why some people prefer to use teriyaki for sauces, instead of marinades.
I heard something called teriyaki glaze. Is it the same thing as a teriyaki sauce?
Teriyaki sauce and teriyaki glaze both have their similarities and differences. They can enhance the flavors of the meat. But the main difference lies in the way they’re used. Teriyaki sauce is often ideal as a basting ingredient for meat, fish, or vegetables while grilling or stir-frying them. Sauce is also used as a marinade or as a condiment. On the other hand, teriyaki glaze is brushed on top of rice (Sushi rice, in particular), giving it a lovely, shiny finish. Plus, teriyaki glaze is thicker than teriyaki sauce.
Is there more than one variant of teriyaki sauce?
Yes. There are 2 types of teriyaki sauce. These are traditional Japanese, and the American version. An American version of teriyaki sauce is usually comprised of foreign ingredients like sesame or garlic (An uncommon staple in Japanese cuisine). A great sample is our aforementioned Kikkoman gluten-free sauce, in which one of the main ingredients is pineapple juice, which gives a sweeter flavor. But this is far from authentic teriyaki sauce found in many Japanese dishes.