Kids love to cook and I prefer to let them bake cakes or cookie bars as these do not take so much time or involve getting a cookie sheet in and out of the hot oven.
A coffee cake is as simple as a cake mix but homemade. It is fast, yummy, warm, and makes a big impression.
Children who don’t like coffee flavor may balk at baking a “coffee cake”unless they catch on to the fact that it is simply a sweet cake without frosting that is meant to be eaten with coffee or served with breakfast.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Grease a 12×8 inch pan and set your oven to preheat to 350 degrees
Mix and set aside in a small bowl: 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, 1 tsp. cinnamon. This is the topping.
Next combine: 2 cups flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. soda and 1/4 tsp. salt in a bowl.
In a third bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter or margarine and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Then add 2 eggs,stirring well after each egg is added. Beat in 1 tsp vanilla. Measure out 1 cup of sour cream.
Now to the butter and eggs mixture, add the flour mixture and the sour cream by turns until it is mixed well. (Helpful hint: Do not overstir because the baking powder will activate too soon and the cause the cake not to rise.)
Spoon half the batter into the pan and sprinkle half the sugar topping mixture over it. Spoon the rest of the batter into the pan and top with the rest of the topping. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.
Serve this cake warm with hot chocolate or coffee or with tall glasses of cold milk. It makes a wonderful spicy fall treat!
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Sunbeam 5891 2-Pound Programmable Breadmaker Review
- 10 Best Chocolate Fountains of 2020
- Basil Origins, Uses, and Tips
- 5 Best Cuisinart Toasters for your Kitchen
- 10 Best Electric Skillet Reviews And Comparison 2020
- Easter Cake Ideas from Around the World
- Some Pretty Strange Baking Tips & Tricks
- Rachel Allen’s Show Bake! on Cooking Channel Review
- The Food, Famous Counter Seating, People and Atmosphere at Diners
- 5 Best Moka Pots for your Kitchen