People often struggle with the task of cooking perfect rice. There are many variables to get right including the proportion of water to rice and how long to cook it for.
This way is great for anyone who wants rice cooked speedily with no fuss. Students who have limited cooking facilities will love this method as it creates the minimum mess. Microwave ovens are very cheap and accessible even to the most cash strapped student. You can cook just enough for one meal.
What You Need
All you need is:
- A microwave
- A microwave safe polythene box with a lid
- A supply of water
- Rice, preferably Basmati but American long grain is good too
- Some herbs to jazz up your rice
- Salt and
- Butter – this is optional, but makes a richer dish
This recipe has been tested in a 600 Watt microwave oven. If your oven is more or less powerful you may need to experiment with the cooking times – obviously the more powerful the oven, the shorter the time required and vice versa.
- 1 cup of Rice
- 1 cup of Water
- Sprinkle of dried Thyme, Marjoram or Mixed herbs
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Knob of Butter
- First wash your rice and then put it in your polythene container with the lid on, but not secured. Be sure to use a good quality container that is microwave safe. Add the herbs and and the salt. Place the rice in the microwave oven for 5 minutes.
- Take the rice container out of the microwave oven and stir it. By now the water shouldn’t be visible over the top of the rice. Most of it will have been absorbed, but the rice will still be quite wet.. Add a knob of butter and stir in. Replace the rice in the microwave for another 3 minutes.
- The rice can be now be eaten, but ideally leave it to stand for a few minutes first. It should be light and fluffy and perfect to serve. If there are any leftovers, don’t throw them away. The rice if kept in the refrigerator, will reheat very well.
Saoking Rice Helps
Soaking the rice for 2 hours before cooking will reduce the cooking time and improve the texture, whichever cooking method you use.
For a change add a pinch of turmeric to the rice. This will create a yellow colour. You could also add a few raisins for an exotic touch. Add some frozen peas in the last part of the cooking process for colour and vitamins.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!