No matter how well you take care of your garden, you might still find new dwellers appearing on your porch one day. Pests are not the best neighbors to live with as they can cause multiple troubles, including biting and infesting you or ruining your garden in no time. While you can choose the best weed killer for flower beds in case you want to get rid of some couch grass, taking care of pests might be more time-consuming.
If you don’t want to suffer from insects and wildlife around your house, consider a wide range of repellents on the market. This product can be sprayed on plants, around, under, or above them. Before you buy any spray, you have to find the real problem and identify the pest. Repellents don’t work equally for all the pests. Choose the one that deals with your pest and order it. Pay attention to the fact that no one can give you a 100-percent guarantee of effectiveness. In case of a severe infestation, it is better to call a pest control service. If you use repellents, make sure that they are not poisonous for you, and be careful while applying them.
The best way to avoid direct confrontation with pests is to prevent their appearance. Sometimes it is hard to do, and in other cases, you can easily avoid infestation. Consider the following measures:
- Pull all the weak plants that were infected. If you don’t do this, they can attract insects and other pests;
- Take care of healthy soil. Mulching, top-dressing, and composting the soil are great ways to receive healthy plants in the end;
- Use the seaweed in a spray or mulch to enhance the plants’ growth. Seaweed contains zinc, iron, calcium, barium, magnesium, and sulfur that increase the healthy growth of plants. It provides protection from versatile diseases and repels slugs;
- Clear the garden from weeds and debris. This way, you get rid of extra room for various insects. Not only small insects but moles and rats will thank you for the garbage in your garden;
- The pests that dwell in your garden usually prefer to stay near one plant. If you decide to mix plants, they will not spread so eagerly around the territory. Keep in mind that lavender is the least favorite plant for almost all pests. You can rotate the crop every year to avoid further infestation;
- The foliage must stay dry. Almost all pests can’t live without water. This is why it is important to cut access to it. You can water the plants early in the morning, so the sun will dry the foliage. Try to moisturize the roots directly and don’t spill too much water around;
- Clean the tools after you work with infested plants. It will reduce the chance of spreading insects around the garden. Usually, tools can carry eggs of insects, and you will not even notice it;
- Find the main source of the infestation and get rid of it. Search for the cause of the problem so that you can stop it.
Keep Your Garden Healthy and Clean
This brief guide will help you to get rid of the problem. Don’t forget to buy a repellent if there is a severe infestation and preventive measures are not enough. Pick it wisely, searching for the right tool from specific pests that are bothering you.