The Easter season brings store shelves filled with chocolate bunnies, plastic eggs, and pastel baskets. At any Easter celebration, this cute bunny shaped cake will delight all ages. Using a favorite cake recipe and some simple decorating tricks, anyone can prepare this beautiful cake. Kids will love to help with baking, too!
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
Make an Easter Bunny Cake
This simple to prepare cake that is a easy and fun for children to bake with an adult. To begin, prepare a favorite home-made cake recipe or use a boxed cake mix. Pour cake batter into one nine-inch round pan and one eight-inch round pan. Bake the cakes in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool completely. Then, follow these easy cutting and assembly instructions with the cooled cakes to create the essential pieces:
- Place the nine inch round cake close to the bottom of a covered cookie sheet. Leave about six inches for a bow tie to be placed later.
- Cut the rounded ends off all four sides of the eight inch cake. This will leave a square.
- Take two of the rounded pieces cut from the eight inch cake and put the flat sides together. Place the set at the top of the nine inch round cake, to form one bunny ear. Do the same for the remaining two rounded pieces.
- Go back to the remaining square from the original eight inch round cake. Cut the square in quarters diagonally.
- Put two of the quarter pieces, points touching, under the nine inch round cake. This will form the bow tie.
- If desired, place another of the quarter pieces on the “bunny’s face”, to form a 3-D effect for a mouth.
- Eat the remaining quarter.
How to Decorate an Easter Bunny Cake
Using white homemade or store bought frosting, cover the entire bunny head with frosting. For the bow tie, reserve a small amount of the white frosting and add a few drops of any color food coloring. Frost the bow tie. Take two black jelly beans and use them for the eyes. One red jelly bean is for the nose. A red licorice whip can be shaped for the mouth. Raw spaghetti, broken in half, makes great whiskers. A sprinkle of coconut all over the face can provide a furry effect if desired. Use sprinkles or other garnishes to get the desired look.
Take pictures of the finished cake and then be prepared for calls of, “I want an ear” and “I get the bow tie”, as the serving dishes and cake cutter are brought out. This Easter Bunny is sure to disappear in a flash.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!