Hummus is great for parties, perfect for a snack, in a wrap and very easy prepare. The recipe is great served in its existing state, but it is also very easy to make a multitude of different flavors by adding one or two additional ingredients to it. Prep time is normally within the 10 minute range with ample time for refrigeration.
- 1 large can (15 oz.) or 2 regular sized cans of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 2 tbsp. tahini (freshly stirred)
- Juice from half a medium sized lemon
- 2 large cloves of garlic minced (Here are some great garlic presses for you!)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (Check out our recommended salt and pepper grinder sets!)
You will want to use your favorite food processor to get the creamiest hummus. Taking the can(s) of chickpeas drain half the liquid and add to the processor, here you will also add the minced garlic. Cover your processor and puree for 5 – 10 seconds. Add next the lemon juice, salt and tahini, cover and puree for another 5 – 10 seconds. With your spatula, run it around the edges making sure to stir as well. Cover and keep the processor on puree for a minute or two, the texture is up to you. The hummus is now complete, place into a bowl and refrigerate for 1 – 2 hours.
Recommended reading: Best Paleo Diet Cookbooks
Serving the hummus is very simple and the garnishes are all based on your tastes. Pita bread, cut into triangles and cut veggies as well as pita chips are the more popular types of dipping tools. I’ve seen many who like using crackers as well.
Here are a few Hummus flavor options to add to the above recipe. What you add depends on your cravings and tastes. You can combine flavors or go for single shot flavors.
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
- Juice of a whole lemon
- Chopped kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp. dill fresh or dried
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- Half a can of chopped artichoke hearts
- 1 cup of cooked and chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup Toasted pine nuts whole or chopped
- 1/2 can of black beans
Being of Lebanese decent, I’ve always been interested in Middle Eastern cuisine. My best memories of my childhood, were of watching my mother cooking in the kitchen. This is her recipe for Hummus.
Now you are ready to sit back, relax and enjoy the yummy and healthy goodness which is Hummus. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
You can find more great recipes like this in our Best Mediterranean Cookbooks!
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Hexnub Organizer for Aeropress Coffee Maker (2020)
- Frosted Glass Backsplash Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Easy To Maintain
- Easy Gluten-Free Bread Recipes Using Bread Machine
- No Bake Black and White Striped Torte Recipe
- Quality Muffin Pans as an Investment
- 5 Best Haitian Cookbooks for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Cast-Iron Fajita Pans for your Kitchen
- Holiday Baking: Basic, Homemade Pie Crust Recipe
- 10 Best Quesadilla Makers for Your Kitchen (2020)
- Moist Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Topping Recipe