You can save time and money with this baking mix recipe. It is similar to Bisquick. You can buy the ingredients in bulk and prepare the mix to make pancakes, biscuits, muffins and cakes quickly and easily.
Master Baking Mix Recipe
- 9 cups flour (whole wheat or white)
- 5 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 2 1/3 cups vegetable shortening
- Mix the dry ingredients well.
- Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients using a fork or pastry blender.
- Store the baking mix in an air-tight 3 quart container and label it “Master Baking Mix.”
Using the Master Baking Mix
Master baking mix can be a real time saver if you properly label it and keep the recipes for using it handy. If you do not label the mix, or forget how to use it, it will go to waste. Keep the recipes below on hand for quick and easy use of your baking mix.
- 3 cups of master baking mix
- 3/4 cup of milk
- Combine the ingredients and mix with a fork.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and kneed 5 or 6 times to form a ball of dough.
- Roll the biscuit dough to 1/2 an inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into biscuit size pieces with a cookie cutter, bread knife, or similar utensil.
- Bake the biscuits at 425 degrees on an ungreased baking sheet for 15 minutes.
Makes 15 biscuits.
- 2 cups of master baking mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, milk and vinegar.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, mixing with a fork.
- The batter should remain lumpy. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon batter onto a greased griddle or frying pan.
Makes 10 medium pancakes.
Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- 2 cups master baking mix
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries (or other berry)
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg and milk.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix by hand for 2 minutes.
- Gently stir the berries into the muffin batter.
- Spoon into a muffin pan, filling each 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.
Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 1/3 cups master baking mix
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Mix into the dry ingredients the egg and half of the milk.
- Mix for 1 minute, or until the batter is smooth.
- Add the rest of the milk and the vanilla.
- Stir well.
- Spread the batter into a greased 8 x 8 pan.
Prepare Coffee Cake Topping:
- 2 tablespoons of the master baking mix
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix the topping well and spread over the top of the coffee cake batter.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!