Flaxseed – a Healthy Way to Bake
Flax seed is a grain that is not used very often but is full of omega-3 as well as cholesterol-busting fiber.
Flax seed is great when added to cereal, pancakes, smoothies, and a good way to sneak something healthy into your child’s diet.
Flax seed is wonderful for those who are trying to loose weight. It provides an excellent form of fiber and omega-3’s that we can’t seem to get enough of.
It is recommended according to flaxhealth.com that a person consume 2-4 tablespoons of flax seed in a 24 hour period.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
Baking is a good way to incorporate flax seed into your diet. Flax seed is great added to muffins, cookie batter, and pie crusts. I like to make muffins with flax seed. Find a good muffin recipe. I recommend one made with whole wheat flour. The one I use has whole wheat flower, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1 ½ cups of ground flax seed. You can also add blueberries, nuts, dried cranberries and or raisins. Below you will find my recipe for Cinnamon muffins with flaxseed.
The muffins similar to the ones above made with flax seed are very filling. They are terrific warmed up for breakfast and served with a cup of coffee or tea or make a great snack anytime.
Flax seed is gaining popularity as a healthy additive to your diet and baking is one of the best ways to enjoy flax.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients. Then add milk and beaten egg at stir until well mixed. Mixture may be a little lumpy. Fill greased muffin tins ¾ full with batter. Bake 20-25 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- How to Avoid Serving a Salty Ham on Easter
- 5 Essential Items That Should Be at Every Business Meeting
- 5 Best Smoked Salmon for your Kitchen
- Should You Use Paper Holders for Your Muffins if You’re Baking Them on Nonstick Pans?
- How does a greaseless turkey fryer work?
- 10 Best Cake Decorating Kits for your Kitchen
- How to make a healthy but easy meal? Opt for super-quick and healthy blender recipes!
- Add a little spice to wake up your cookie recipes
- 5 Best Ramen Cookbooks for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Emeril Lagasse Cookware for your Kitchen