If you really like bagels, then our list of the top 3 bagel slicer products today will definitely enhance your experience in serving them. We really love these products as they help us avoid accidental cuts and other injuries while slicing bagels to our desired thickness, size, and shape. These slicers also make it quicker, simpler, and easier to do these things, even when we need extra thin slices in unusual shapes and sizes.
But of course, there are a lot of brands and models of bagel slicers in the market today. And this makes it quite confusing to decide on the most suitable product for your exact needs. So what we first did was to ask our friends and loved ones for their recommendations, experience, and feedback. Many of them are home cooks, pro chefs who specialize in bagels and other pastries, along with fellow foodies.
Their suggestions helped us create a checklist of the most crucial factors to consider when choosing a bagel slicer. And this in turn allowed us to correctly trim down a list of the 20 most popular bagel slicers today, according to Amazon’s best-seller list for this category. Afterward, we formed a group of testers to verify the usefulness and overall quality of these products. And here’s a summary of our hard work:
Best Bagel Slicer Review Center
|#1 - Hoan The Original Bagel Guillotine Universal Slicer||99%|
|#2 - Ironwood Gourmet 28330 Local 338 Bagel Milter||97%|
|#3 - Hometown Bagel Knife||96%|
Our comprehensive reviews about each of our top 3 bagel slicer selections are found below. You’ll learn why we really like these 3 brands and models from the stuff we talked about in our reviews. And whenever you’re ready, just click the yellow button to get the best prices in Amazon today!
#1 – Hoan The Original Bagel Guillotine Universal Slicer
This product has been around since 1994. And its design has clearly stood the test of time. It’s now a huge favorite among bakers, café owners, and many others who enjoy bagels. This slicer is quite easy to use. All you need to do is just place the bagel inside the slot and then push it downwards towards the blade. There’s also an accompanying cradle, which can hold your bagel in place. Also, lots of our testers love this bagel slicer’s versatility and strength.
- This bagel slicer measures 7.13 x 3.88 x 9.25 inches;
- It weighs 1.32 lbs.;
- This product is manufactured by Lifetime Brands;
- This comes in three colors, including silver, black, and red; and
- It’s also NSF certified.
- The acrylic safety shield equipped into this bagel slicer ensures that your fingers are kept safe while you slice bagels;
- It can slice bread of various types and sizes – So it’s not just for bagels, but also other types of bread, including rolls, loaves, buns, muffins, etc.;
- The product’s design has garnered so many awards through the years;
- This unit is completely dishwasher-safe; and
- It also contains a durable non-stick Xylan-coated blade that’s meant for quick and easy slicing.
#2 – Ironwood Gourmet 28330 Local 338 Bagel Milter
This product was first released in 1992 from the company’s North Carolina headquarters. It’s part of a set that contains other baking materials and display racks. Ironwood Gourmet’s bagel slicer is made out of pure Acacia wood, similar to the company’s other products. The main objective of Ironwood Gourmet is to build brilliant and sustainable products from the best sources, which can make your food look beautiful. The product’s wide base helps keep the bagel steady, while the knife slots are there to make sure that the bagel is cut cleanly and evenly.
- This model measures 7 x 5.5 x 2.5 inches;
- It’s crafted from premium-grade Acacia wood;
- It’s part of a set that includes a bread board with dipping bowl, nesting bread board with crumb catcher, and a baguette board, among others;
- Packaged together with Ironwood Gourmet’s signature Butcher Block Oil;
- Made in the USA; and
- Weighs around 7.2 ounces.
- Can be easily cleaned with water and soap, just don’t soak it in water for too long;
- Acacia wood gives the product a beautiful finish, heft, and sturdiness;
- The wood is also crafted from the end grain, lessening the amount of wearing and tearing caused by metal cutlery;
- All of Ironwood Gourmet’s products are multi-functional, including the bagel slicer; and
- The accompanying Butcher Block Oil helps the bagel slicer maintain its sheen.
#3 – Hometown Bagel Knife
This particular product is fantastic, simple, and very easy to use. It lets you slice bagels and other bread without any complications. And you won’t even have to exert too much effort to use it. Hometown’s patented bagel knife is crafted from food-safe plastic, along with a stainless-steel blade. Cleanup is also a breeze, giving you more time to enjoy your favorite bagel. It can cut through bagels, English muffins, Southern-style biscuits, buns, and even delicate bread like croissants without squishing them.
- This bagel slicer weighs 6.1 ounces;
- It measures 14 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches;
- Comes with a 5-year guarantee; and
- Manufactured by Urban Trend, made in the USA.
- The product is made with the safety of the user in mind, making sure that you won’t accidentally harm yourself while using this bagel slicer;
- Aside from fast cleanup, it’s also easy to store in your kitchen drawer or hang on a rack;
- Its small size does not take up too much space, compared to a guillotine-style bagel slicer; and
- This product has a durable handle, while the blade doesn’t dull or rust too quickly.
Bagel Slicer Buyer’s Guide
While testing out these bagel slicers, we realized that most of them came in various shapes and sizes, so we added that to our list of factors. Other factors that we used during the testing period were the price, the functionality, the overall look of the product, and finally, how well they can slice a piece of bread. So here’s the complete checklist that we used to finalize our 3 best bagel slicer selections this year:
What Makes a Bagel Slicer Suitable for Your Exact Needs?
- Look at the bagel slicer’s design — A lot of modern bagel slicers have a guillotine-like appearance. This slices the bagel in half. However, despite their intimidating look, they’re not actually dangerous to use — Quite the opposite, in fact. Meanwhile, there are also things such as bagel knives and bagel biters, all of which have a unique look to them. Either way, you’re recommended to get a bagel slicer that has proper safety guards;
- Make sure that the bagel slicer is easy to clean— Bagel slicers can be a dangerous thing to wash because of its blade. But still, this is one of the most important factors that you need to consider before buying a bagel slicer. So while taking a closer look at our top 3 bagel slicer recommendations, you’re advised to check to see if it’s dishwasher-safe. After all, an easy to clean bagel slicer can help you save loads of time. Plus, it can encourage you to use it even more; and
- Check the product’s safety features — Bagel slicers are better to use than bread knives. That’s because they’re equipped with safety mechanisms. Remember, a good bagel slicer must be able to have an ergonomic design as this further increases its efficiency, allowing you to slice bagels in no time at all. Some of these bagel slicers will sacrifice one feature for the other, making you choose between safety and efficiency, so you’re recommended to pick a slicer that contains both.
Bagel Slicer FAQs
Aside from using a bagel slicer, what other ways can you do to cut a bagel cleanly in half?
What you can do is to lay the bagel flat, and get a serrated bread knife. Place the knife parallel to the cutting surface, and start slicing it very gently, in a horizontal direction. Stop when you reach halfway, then stand the half-cut bagel on its side, without taking off the knife. While keeping the bagel steady, continue cutting gently downwards until the knife reaches the cutting board.
What else can you do to avoid any possible injuries while using a bagel slicer?
When you have a frozen bagel, do not cut it straight away. Instead, wait for it to thaw. Otherwise, you’re more prone to accidental cuts. Also, a helpful tip is to slice the bagel before storing them in the fridge. This will help them thaw more quickly once you take them out.
Why are bagel slicers important?
Bagel slicers are very handy, and can hold the bagel without you sustaining possible injuries. And what’s more, a bagel slicer can help keep the knife steady, preventing it from slipping. Bagel slices come in both metal and plastic materials, which can help keep your hands protected while you chop down your favorite bread.
Can you use a smooth-edged knife to slice down your bagel?
You aren’t advised to do this. Instead, keep in mind that the best knife to cut a bagel is a bread knife with serrated edges. A bagel’s surface is very smooth, and the serration of your bread knife will help tear slowly into the bagel, ripping into it with a crosscut saw effect. The bread knife’s edge will also cut and grip onto the bagel’s surface. Doing this with a smooth-edged knife will increase the chances of it slipping across the bread’s smooth surface, and onto your fingers.