An Easy Scratch Cake
Making cakes can be easy, as long as you follow the directions. The most important tips are to measure flour correctly and watch for doneness carefully.
Once you learn how to make a simple butter cake like this one, you can vary the additions to create your own masterpiece. For instance, use chocolate milk instead of plain milk and add a couple different kinds of chocolate chips instead of the crushed cookies, or add some nuts and granola. Change the frosting flavor too, by using plain vanilla frosting and adding mint extract or some chocolate syrup. Have fun!
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
Cookies and Cream Cake
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 egg
- 8 cream-filled sandwich cookies, chopped
- 1/2 cup canned chocolate frosting
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9″ round pan with baking spray containing flour; set aside.
In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, sour cream, butter, milk, baking powder, baking soda, and egg. Mix until combined, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Then fold in cookies and pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and springs back when touched in the center. Cool on wire rack.
In small bowl, combine frosting and whipped topping and beat until smooth. Frost cooled cake. Store in refrigerator. Serves 6-8
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- 5 Best Beverage Refrigerators for your Kitchen
- Delicious King Cake Recipe
- How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
- A Look at a Variety of Asian Noodles
- 5 Best Retro Toasters for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Metal Bar Stools for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Swiss Diamond Cookware for your Kitchen
- Tarragon – Origin, Uses, Tips
- Coconut Cake Recipe Perfect for Individuals with Diabetes
- Delicious Yellow Cake for Upcoming Holidays