Super Rich and Easy Cooky Recipe
I love these layered bar cookies, but I don’t make them very often, just because they are addictive. I also love the title, which is unfortunately accurate.
As in all baking, I don’t recommend that you substitute margarine for butter. The flavor just isn’t as good with margarine, especially in recipes like this where the amount of butter is predominant.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
Also, there’s that pesky trans fat issue; even trans fat-free margarines contain trans fat. Eat natural foods, not artificial ones; that’s my motto.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup melted semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup butter, flour, brown sugar, and cocoa and mix until a dough forms. Press into the bottom of a 13″ x 9″ baking pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until just set.
Meanwhile, in medium bowl combine crumbs, 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, walnuts, baking powder, and sweetened condensed milk. Pour over crust when it comes out of the oven. Return to oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until filling is set. Cool completely.
When bars are cool, in medium bowl combine powdered sugar, melted butter, melted chocolate chips, and vanilla and mix well. Pour over bars and spread evenly. Cool completely, then cut into bars.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Mix things up a bit by baking your next soft bread in a bread cloche
- 5 Best Cuisinart Coffee Makers for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Russian Cookbooks for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Nutcrackers for your Kitchen
- Cardamom Seed Powder – Origins, Uses, Tips
- Cooking and Baking: Finding Ingredient Substitutes
- Cost-cutting Tips For Your Christmas Baking
- How to Save Time By Making Icebox Cookies
- Easy Baking: Basic, Homemade Peanut Butter Cookies
- The BBC’s latest and greatest food TV series!