Both chickpeas and spinach are wonderful healthy foods, and this tasty dish can be made very quickly and simply if you have some frozen spinach and jars of chickpeas, it’s a quick, easy and healthy vegetarian dish.
Chickpeas and Spinach Bake
- 5 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil (Here’s some olive oil dispensers you may like)
- 1 large onion finely chopped or spiralized (in an electric spiralizer)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced (Here are some great garlic presses for you!)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 275g frozen spinach or 2 large bunches of washed, fresh spinach
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained or from a jar, washed and drained.
- 1 baguette, sliced
Gently heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, taking care not to overheat it. Fry the onion and the garlic for several minutes, until the onion starts to become transparent then add the tomato, cumin, and paprika. Keep frying for several more minutes.
(Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
Add to the frying pan the thawed or chopped spinach and add the chickpeas. If you’re using fresh spinach you might need to add a little water, a few tablespoons should be enough..
Reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Cook, stirring frequently, until the spinach is cooked and the chickpeas are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with hot slices of French bread pan-fried in olive oil or garlic bread.
Recommended Reading: 25 Gadgets That Make Healthy Cooking Easy
Chickpeas with pepper and tomatoes
This is a simple dish that can be served as a vegetable dish or a light supper dish when served with a green salad and crusty bread.
It’s also very good served cold, just stir in some black olives and some more olive oil and you’ve a different side dish to offer.
This is a real Mediterranean diet recipe made with healthy and delicious fresh vegetables – onions, garlic, olives, olive oil, peppers and tomatoes.
- 225g chickpeas (cooked)
- 2 large onions
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 2 green peppers
- 225g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree
- ½ tsp. chilli powder
- salt, pepper
- pinch of sugar
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley for garnish
Gently heat the olive oil and fry the chopped onion and garlic for about ten minutes until tender. Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and slice them thinly then add to the pan, cook for about 5 minutes then stir in the tomatoes, puree and chill powder and cook for ten minutes more. Add the chickpeas and heat through thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar to your liking. Serve, garnished with the chopped parsley.
You can find more great Mediterranean recipes in the Best Mediterranean Cookbooks!
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Amazing Gingerbread Men Cookies You Must Try
- 5 Best Potato Cookbooks for your Kitchen
- Pecan Pie and Candied Pecan Recipes for Easy Holiday Baking
- 5 Best Grapefruit Spoons for your Kitchen
- Making Your Baking Healthier
- How to Prepare Chocolate Lovers Cake – Ten Easy Steps
- 5 Best Kasumi Knives for your Kitchen
- Homemade Italian Ricotta Strudel with Sultanas: Filo Pastry with Sweet Cheese Filling: Dessert from Northern Italy
- Oster 5838 58-Minute Expressbake Review
- Baking Party – A Lot of Fun For Your Family and Friends