The first thing you will need to know is the six different types of cookies that you can make. Some take a little more time to prepare, while others are just minutes away from being in the oven.
Drop Cookies are made when you drop the dough by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet. These are very easy to do. You can use a small ice cream scoop to get the exact amount of dough into each cookie. I like my cookies small and I use a Tablespoon measure to get the exact amount of dough I want.
Recommended reading: Best Cookie Cookbooks
Rolled Cookies are a little more time consuming. They are made from chilled dough that has been rolled flat on a lightly floured surface. You can then use cookie cutters to cut out shapes, bake them and then decorate them appropriately. These are great for holiday cookies.
Refrigerator Cookies are made from a dough that has been rolled into a log and then chilled to slightly firm it up. Cookies are then sliced from the log and then baked.
Recommended reading: Best Pastry Cookbooks
Pressed Cookies are made by piping chilled dough through a cookies press, a pastry bag or a heavy-duty plastic bag. A cookie press is a handy kitchen gadget to have if you like to bake.
Bar Cookies are very simple to make. They are baked in a single batch and then cut into squares or bars after they are cooled enough to touch.
Shaped or Molded Cookies are made from a very stiff dough that is formed into balls and/or other shapes.
Recommended reading: Best Cookie Presses
Whichever type of cookie you decide to bake you will be able to find numerous recipes online. Just go to a recipe website and type in “bar cookies”, etc. and you will be overwhelmed with the response.
Get Creative Cookbook
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- How to Cook Fish at Home
- 5 Best Sugar Shakers for your Kitchen
- 5 Advantages of Baking from Scratch
- Inexpensive and Available Cooking Gadgets
- How much is too much when it comes to adding nuts to cookie batter?
- 5 Best Apple Cider Vinegar for your Kitchen
- Add Raisins to Your Muffins for Extra Taste
- 10 Best Shaved Ice Machine of 2020
- A Tribute to Irish Americans: Explaining Our Traditions
- How Can an Oil-Free Turkey Fryer Reduce the Cholesterol Level of Your Thanksgiving Bird?