There is no aroma that can match the inviting aroma of bread baking in the oven. Baking bread at home is increasing in popularity, you can save money by baking your own bread, and it isn’t a difficult task. Here is my favorite white bread recipe.
Basic White Bread Recipe
- 3 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pkg yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 3/4 c very warm water
- 1/2 c very warm milk
In a large mixing bowl, add the warm water, slowly stir in the yeast, until it is dissolved. Add the warm milk, sugar, and shortening to the bowl, use an electric hand mixer to mix until the shortening is melted. Mix in two cups of flour. Continue adding remaining flour until it is easy to handle and the dough follows the spoon. Turn the dough out onto floured surface and knead until the dough is springy to touch and no longer sticky. Place the dough into a buttered bowl, turn dough until it’s surface is coated with the butter. Cover the bowl and place in a warm, draft free area for one hour.
After the dough has risen, punch down the dough, form into a loaf, and gently place into a greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the bread for 30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool, you may rub a small amount of butter over the top of the hot bread. It helps the crust stay soft and gives it a nice buttery flavor. Enjoy! Serve on the best warming tray for extra deliciousness!
Recommended reading: the Ultimate Guide to the Best Bread Makers
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Add Chocolate Chips to Your Muffins for Extra Gooey Goodness
- Types of Bread You Can Make with a Bread Cloche
- No-Bake, Diabetic Friendly Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Best 5 Meals That Are Great When Coupled with Cornbread
- Getting Ready to Bake
- 5 Best Mortar And Pestle for your Kitchen
- Lightning Fast Pasta with Fresh Vegetables and Cheese Recipe
- 5 Best Black+Decker Blenders for your Kitchen
- Spicy Asian Pork Chops Recipe
- Quick and Easy Quiche Recipe