We had four kids in the family, and all of us loved to cook and to eat. One of our favorite starter recipes was Orange Balls or Ambrosia. Even little ones can make these, since there’s very little heat involved. The only time the stove is used is to melt the margarine, and that can be done in the microwave.
No-Bake Orange Ball Recipe
- 1 stick margarine
- 1 pound vanilla wafers (crumbled up fine)
- 1 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed)
- 1 pound powered confectioners sugar
- 1 oz. bag coconut (can use confectioners sugar instead of coconut)
- Melt the margarine in a pan on top of the stove, or you can microwave (stirring after a few seconds so that the margarine doesn’t separate).
- While the margarine is melting (or before if kids are working and are slow), crumble up the vanilla wafers. This can be done by hand, but sometimes the crumbs are a bit chunky if done by hand. The wafers can be put in a zip lock bag and mashed, or they can be put in a big bowl and a biscuit cutter can be used to chop the cookie wafers.
- When the margarine is melted, add the crumbs and powdered sugar plus orange juice concentrate (do not add water for juice). Stir well.
- Take small bits of the mixture and roll into balls. Size should run around the size of a big gum ball up to walnut sized.
- Roll the orange balls in coconut or powdered sugar is fine for rolling if you have family or friends who do not like coconut.
Store the orange balls in the refrigerator or they can be kept in the freezer for a few weeks. We prefer to eat them around room temperature, but some people like them cold.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- One of the Best Recipes for Tortilla Soup (Mexican Azteca soup)
- 3 Best Mortar and Pestle Brands (2020 Guide)
- 10 Best Panini Press Review & Rating 
- Hoshizaki Commercial Ice Maker (B079TZDM33)
- How to Soften White Sugar: 7 Super Easy Methods Tried & Approved
- Easy Summer Desserts: Easy No Bake Lemon Pie and Mexican Sundays
- 2 Easy Weeknight CrockPot Recipes
- Review of Aldi Brand Product: Sweet Harvest Apple Sauce
- Moist Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Topping Recipe
- Most Fun Things You Can Do With Your Child(ren)