In medium to large saucepan mix together:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 stick of margarine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa
Stir the above mixture continuously until everything is melted, mixed well and comes to a boil. Continue stirring, while boiling, for 2 minutes.
Take the above mixture off of the heat and immediately add:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 oatmeal (“quick” oats are best for this)
Quickly mix well with an electric hand mixer and spoon onto wax paper to let harden.
- It is very handy to have All of your ingredients measured out and waiting before you start.
- I start this recipe by slowly heating up the first list of ingredients until everything melted and mixed well, then I turn up the heat, constantly stirring until it boils.
- Constant stirring may be a little tiring but is Extremely important since most of these ingredients would scorch and stick to your pan very quickly.
- Timing your boiling is probably the most important part of this recipe. If not timed properly your cookies will either not harden up or become too hard and brittle. Due to variances in stove temperatures (yes, even on stove “eyes” not just the oven) you may have to try this recipe a couple of times to get your timing perfect.
- This recipe can be doubled, but, you have to adjust your boiling time. Usually adding an additional minute to boiling time is sufficient.
- Serve on a warming tray for extra deliciousness
This recipe is not a 100% original recipe. This Novac Cookie recipe originated from Martha Evans, my mother-in-law whom passed away in 1986, over the years I’ve changed a few things and made it more my own. The “helpful hints” section are tips and tricks I’ve learned personally through trial and error.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- 20 Best Grilling Tools and Accessories 2020
- Can’t Fail Cheesecake Recipe
- What is the Most Crucial Feature of a Muffin Pan?
- Baking Mix Recipe: Master Mix and Use Recipes
- Try These Perfect Cost Cuttings Tips for Christmas or Hanukkah!
- Chocolate Cherry Bars: An Easy to Make Valentine Treat
- Lodge 2010 Cast Iron Cookware Catalog
- Different Fresh Pumpkin Baking Methods
- Best Air Fryers by NuWave–Reviews, Ratings, FAQs 
- Best Dutch Oven for Camping Reviews 2020