The turkey is the centerpiece of the Thanksgiving meal and everyone has high hopes that it is going to be wonderfully delicious and juicy. Southern Thanksgiving Turkey is easy to make and is really delicious.
Southern Thanksgiving Turkey
- 12 to 18 lb turkey, thawed
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 1 orange, quartered
- Salt, pepper amp; sage, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 or 4 cups of water
- 1 large turkey roasting bag
The night before serving the turkey, about one hour before going to bed, rub the salt, pepper and sage over the turkey. Add the oil to the turkey, rubbing the oil all over the turkey.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
Put the turkey in the roasting bag and place the turkey into a roasting pan. Add the cut up vegetables and fruit into the cavity of the turkey. Add the water to the bag and tie it closed. Put a slit in the top of the roasting bag.
Put the roasting pan in the oven and cook for 1 hour at 500 degrees. After the hour is up, turn the oven off and keep the oven closed. Do NOT open the oven door.
When you wake in the morning, check the turkey to see if it’s done, the thigh will be soft and can be easily disjointed. If the turkey is not done, cook 30 minutes longer at 250 degrees.
- 5 Best Donut Pans for your Kitchen
- Recipe Shortcuts That Will Save You Time And Money
- Add Some Glazed Fruits to Your Muffins for Tasty Texture
- 5 Best Soul Food Cookbooks for your Kitchen
- Baking the Perfect Bread Roll
- Your Holiday Theme Can Be a Source For Creative Inspiration
- Best Price – Bento All-in-one Stackable Lunch/Bento Box
- Rachel Allen’s Show Bake! on Cooking Channel Review
- Easy Baked Shepherd’s (Cottage) Pie: Traditional Ground Beef Casserole Dish with Vegetables
- Baking Tips for Clueless Beginners