Making sushi at home is so much cheaper than eating at a restaurant. It may not be on the same level as sushi from top restaurants, but you’ll get yourself a delicious meal for just a few bucks instead of a couple hundred. So worth it!
Sushi is fun and easy to prepare at home. All you need is a makisu, nori sheets, some Japanese rice, rice vinegar, and a few of your favorite ingredients to fill up your roll.
In this article, we take a look at two of the best homemade sushi recipes you can try out today. Before that though, we highly recommend getting a sushi-making kit to ease and speed up the entire preparation process.
The best sushi making kits provide you with all the necessary ingredients and tools you require to make a perfect sushi roll. This way, you don’t have to buy the basic tools and ingredients separately.
That aside, here are two of the best sushi recipes you can prepare at home.
If you’ve not tried the California roll, you are clearly missing out. There is something about the combination of crab sticks, cucumber, and creamy avocado that gives your taste buds a run for your money.
If you’re wondering how to make California rolls in the comfort of your home, these simple ingredients and easy-to-follow steps are just what you need.
- 2-3 cups of Japanese rice (cooked)
- Rice vinegar (50 ml)
- Sugar (1 tablespoon)
- Salt (enough to taste)
- Avocado (1 piece)
- Mayonnaise (2 tablespoons)
- English cucumber
- 3 nori sheets (dried seaweed)
- Quarter pound crab sticks
- Sesame seeds
- Makisu (Bamboo rolling mat)
- Plastic wrap
- In an empty container, add the cooked rice, rice vinegar, salt, and sugar and mix well.
- Place the makisu on a cutting board and ensure that the strips are running horizontally. Spread the plastic wrap over the makisu.
- In a bowl, add water mixed with 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar. Place the bowl next to your working area.
- Lay a sheet of nori on the plastic wrap with the shiny side facing down. Add a cup of rice to the nori sheet and spread it evenly across the sheet using your fingers. Wet your fingers with the vinegar water as you spread because sushi rice is sticky.
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon of sesame seeds over the rice.
- Move the sheet close to the bottom edge of the bamboo mat.
- Spread a little mayonnaise across the sheet of nori and add your ingredients; avocado, cucumber, and crab sticks. Each topping should form a line. Don’t overpack it.
- Gently grab the mat’s bottom edges with your thumbs and use your other fingers to secure the toppings.
- Roll it into the shape of a cylinder. As you roll forward, the makisu should form the letter C. Apply a little pressure so that you get a firm roll.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the roll into 2 halves. Cut each half into three parts. You’ll have a total of 6 sushi pieces for each roll. Wet the knife with vinegar water to get a clean cut.
- Enjoy with wasabi paste, soy sauce, and pickled ginger.
Spicy Tuna Roll
While it’s fun to eat a spicy tuna roll at a restaurant, there is something fulfilling about crafting the roll yourself.
Now, you may believe that only a trained sushi chef can make a spicy tuna roll but don’t sell yourself short. You’ll be surprised at what you can do at home with some sushi rice, bamboo mat, and fresh fish.
Here’s an easy step to step recipe for making a spicy tuna roll at home;
- 2-3 cups cooked Japanese rice
- Rice vinegar (50 ml)
- Tuna sashimi (6 oz.)
- Green onions
- Mayonnaise (4 tablespoons)
- Sesame seeds
- 3 nori sheets
- Sriracha sauce (4 tablespoons)
- Prepare the sushi rice (mix the Japanese rice with salt, sugar, and rice vinegar in a container).
- Wrap the makisu with a plastic wrap. Prepare the vinegar water and set it on the side.
- Place a nori sheet on the plastic wrap with the shiny side facing down. Add a cup of sushi rice to the sheet at the center. Wet your fingers with the vinegar water and spread the rice across the sheet evenly.
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon of sesame seeds over the rice and turn the sheet over so the sushi rice is facing down.
- Cut the tuna until smooth and chop the green onions. In an empty bowl, add the chopped tuna, green onions, mayonnaise, and sriracha sauce and mix well.
- Place the tuna mix on top of the sheet of nori horizontally.
- Gently grab the mat’s bottom edges with your thumbs and use your other fingers to secure the tuna mix.
- Roll it into a cylindrical shape. The makisu should form the letter C as you roll forward. Apply a little pressure so that you get a firm roll.
- Slice the roll in half using a sharp knife and then into thirds.
- Serve with wasabi paste and soy sauce.
No need to spend a huge amount of money eating sushi at a restaurant! With just a few ingredients and tools, you can have a sushi feast in the comfort of your home. Enjoy!