This season, don’t let being hopeless in the kitchen stop you from treating yourself and others to delicious holiday desserts. From cake, to cookies, to a fantastic no bake pumpkin pie recipe, delight your friends and family with these simple, fun, and creative ways to serve up festive treats with a (mostly!) homemade flair.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
Hot Chocolate Mug Cake
Celebrate the holidays with this mouth-watering take on an all-time winter favorite, hot chocolate.
- 9 tbsp. hot chocolate mix
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 3 tbsp. water
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 1 egg
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine the dry ingredients and egg in a large microwaveable mug and mix well.
- Stir in the water and oil. If desired, add chocolate chips. Heat the mixture on high for about three minutes.
- Don’t worry if the cake rises out of the mug; once cooled, it should shrink back down.
- Top the cake with whipped cream to create a realistic looking mug of “hot chocolate.”
- To make a sweeter cake, add a few teaspoons of sugar to the dry ingredients.
- Use pretty, holiday-themed mugs to serve hot chocolate cake at parties. Guests can take the mugs home as party favors.
No Bake Pumpkin Pie
Get ready to be surprised at how simple it is to make a truly delicious pumpkin pie. This recipe is perfect for those who are not quite ready to crack open the oven, but who can’t bear to see the season pass without a taste of this traditional dessert. Easy to make and even easier to eat, no bake pumpkin pie is a worthy accompaniment to any holiday meal.
- 9-inch pie crust
- 2 3 ¾ oz. packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ¾ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- In a medium sized bowl, blend pudding mix and milk until smooth.
- Stir in the spices and pumpkin puree.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust and refrigerate overnight.
- For a more personalized touch, follow this simple recipe for no bake pie crust. Thoroughly combine 2 cups of crushed graham crackers with ¼ cup of sugar and 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Firmly press the mixture along the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate and let sit for one hour.
Chocolate Covered Oreos
Chocolate lovers will delight in this rich, mouth-watering dessert featuring Oreo cookies dipped in chocolate. Inexpensive and easy to make, chocolate covered Oreos are easily customized to suit any holiday. Garnish with yellow and orange sprinkles on Thanksgiving, or multicolored candy confetti to celebrate the new year. No matter what the occasion, this delicious dessert is sure to satisfy even the strongest chocolate craving.
- 2 12 oz. bags of chocolate chips
- 1 package of Oreos
- Your choice of toppings
- Pour chocolate chips into a large microwaveable bowl.
- Heat for about one minute or until the chocolate reaches a creamy consistency.
- Dip Oreos into the chocolate, making sure they are evenly coated.
- Place on a sheet of waxed paper and decorate as desired.
- Let harden for about thirty minutes.
- Cute, inexpensive toppings can be found in the baking aisle at your local supermarket.
- Serve chocolate dipped Oreos at holiday parties, or give individually wrapped cookies as gifts.
Microwave Baked Apples
This dessert is a healthy and tasty way to celebrate the festive season, guilt-free. Satisfy cravings while avoiding dreaded holiday weight gain with this recipe for warm cinnamon apples.
- 1 apple
- 1 tbsp. raisins
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. water
- Core the apple, keeping the bottom intact.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Fill the apple with the mixture and place into a deep microwaveable dish.
- Sprinkle the water around the base of the apple. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and microwave on high for one to two minutes, or until soft.
- For best results, apples should be served shortly after cooking.
- Serve the apples with a scoop of non-fat frozen yogurt for an extra tasty treat.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!