Fruit crumbles are a tasty fruit dessert enjoyed by kids and adults alike.
This fast and simple crisp recipe makes a great, easy homemade dessert idea. Using only one mixing bowl and requiring only a few ingredients this recipe requires minimal preparation time and clean up.
This quick and easy recipe is also slightly healthier then other homemade crumble recipes, being made with a little canola oil instead of butter and using fiber filling oats.
This recipe is also appropriate for vegans.
Basic Crisp or Crumble Dessert Recipe
- About 2/3 cup topping for pies, crisps, and other desserts.
- 5 Minutes
- 20 to 25 minutes per batch
Cooking Supplies Needed for Simple Crisp Dessert Recipe:
- Metal fork
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium sized stainless-steel mixing bowl
Ingredients for Classic Crisp Recipe:
- 1/3 cups quick oats
- 1/3 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, or more or less to taste
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons canola or another cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons milk or soy milk, for vegans
- Stewed or canned fruit for crisp
How to Fast and Simple Classic Crisp Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In small mixing bowl combine self-rising flour, quick oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and mix thoroughly until well blended.
- Add cooking oil. Using metal fork, mix until thoroughly blended.
- Add milk, or soymilk, again using metal fork to mix ingredients. Mixture will seem crumbly, and slightly lumpy.
- Sprinkle crumble onto desired dessert.
Variations of Classic Quick and Easy Oatmeal Crisp Topping
For an extra flavorsome crumble considering adding more spices. Cardamom, ground cloves, nutmeg, and all-spice are all tasty editions to this fruit crisp recipe, especially if making a fall version to top an apple dessert. You also can add chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, about ¼ cup, for a nuttier version. Dried raisins and cranberries also would make a tasty addition to this crumble recipe.
Many Uses for Traditional Homemade Crumble Topping
There are a variety of ways to use this simple and easy crisp recipe. This tasty oat topping is very delicious sprinkled on a variety of stewed fruit and pie fillings. This recipe is ideal for making cherry, blueberry, plum, peach, blackberry, gooseberry, apple, rhubarb, and other types of homemade crumbles. Make sure to stew the fruit before putting the crisp on and baking. For a quick and easy dessert option use any tinned variety of fruit.
This simple oat topping recipe is also very good sprinkled on top of your favorite brownie recipe. To make yummy and easy brownies topped with oats, merely sprinkle the crisp on top of the brownies before baking. This crumble recipe is also tasty on top of your favorite banana or pumpkin bread.
This fruit crumble recipe appropriate for vegans is also a fast and easy way to top your favorite holiday pie. Merely use this crumble recipe instead of a top pie crust for a tasty and easy variation on classic fruit pie.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!