Quick and Easy Bar Cookies
I love bar cookies; they’re so easy to make and there are infinite flavor and texture possibilities. These easy oatmeal cookie bars filled with chocolate chips are topped with a cocoa meringue. They won’t last long at your house!
When making a meringue, take your time. Separate the eggs while they’re cold from the fridge, then let them stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes so they warm up a bit; warmer egg whites will beat up to a higher volume. Gradually add sugar while you’re beating, and beat until the meringue is very stiff and glossy. Pick up a bit of the meringue on your fingertip and rub it between your fingers; you shouldn’t be able to feel any grains of sugar.
Store these bars tightly covered at room temperature. And enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Meringue Bars
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 egg whites
- pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 13×9″ pan with baking spray with flour and set aside. In heavy saucepan, combine butter and unsweetened chocolate; melt over low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in sugar until smooth. Then beat in egg yolks.
Add flour, salt, baking powder and vanilla and mix until blended. Stir in oatmeal and chocolate chips. Spread into prepared pan.
In clean large bowl, combine egg whites with salt and cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Then add sugar and cocoa, a spoonful at a time; beating until mixture is stiff and glossy. Spread over oatmeal mixture in pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 20-30 minutes, until meringue is set. Cool completely, then cut into squares. Makes 24 bars
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Your choice of flour for your cookies is actually a big deal
- 5 Best Cuban Cookbooks for your Kitchen
- 2 Very Easy Air Fried Turkey Recipes
- 10 Best Burger Press for your Kitchen
- Learn How to Bake Salmon Easily
- Steamed Crab Roe Dumpling Recipe – Compliments of Chef Rolf Knecht of the Grand Hyatt Shanghai
- Faith’s Potato Skins – St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- Creating a Bake Sale Fundraising Event
- Zojirushi BB-HAC10 Home Bakery Mini-Breadmaker Review
- How to Cook Chicken on a Smoker