After four tonsillectomy surgeries, two wisdom teeth surgeries and countless sore throats and soft diet prescriptions, I’ve gotten very good at cooking nutritious, post-operative meals. Here is my arsenal of soft diet recipes for healing. These recipes contain foods rich in vitamins and protein for post-op recovery, plus they focus on soft, easily digestible foods for those with sore throat or teeth problems.
Creamy Egg Custard:
Custard has long been a favorite for post-operative diets. Made with eggs and milk, custard is loaded with protein, yet easy to swallow and digest. In a blender, mix until creamy and smooth:
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups milk (low fat for those on special diets)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt (Check out our recommended salt and pepper grinder sets!)
- several dashes of nutmeg
When ingredients are blended, pour into glass casserole dish. Set in pan of shallow water (about one inch) and bake for 50-60 minutes at 325 degrees. When custard is done, it will resemble pudding. Knife inserted will come out clean. For caramel custard, replace sugar with brown sugar.
Loaded with vitamin A and beta-carotene, this hearty, nutritious recipe is perfect for post-operative sore throat or sore teeth. Blend together:
- four eggs
- pumpkin from one pared, cleaned cooked pie pumpkin or one 29 ounce can cooked pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- milk from refilled pumpkin can (this also ‘rinses out’ remaining pumpkin in can) or two cans evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger or allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 T. flour
Bake in glass 9×13 baking dish at 350 degrees until pumpkin custard is ‘set’ and inserted knife comes out clean (about 50-60 minutes).
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- 5 Best Cookie Press Reviews 2020
- 5 Best Saute Pans for your Kitchen
- The Char-Broil The Big Easy Smoker Roaster & Grill Review
- Bake Amazing Pumpkin Pie for Vegans
- How to Know if Chicken is Done
- Traditional Baking: Quick, Easy Homemade Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- Recipes for Flavorful Fried Tofu and Tofu Soup
- Ideas for Baking With Children
- T-Fal PF311E ActiBread Bread Maker Review
- 5 Best Marinade Injectors for your Kitchen