A Classic and Delicious Bar Cookie Recipe
Surfer Squares are originally a Pillsbury Bake-Off recipe. Like Snickerdoodles, Oatmeal Carmelitas, Dilly Casserole Bread, and Tunnel of Fudge cake, this bar cookie recipe has become part of the American recipe collection.
I usually don’t like butterscotch pieces; they seem very fake to me. But they are delicious in this recipe. I haven’t tried this, but I’d bet that you could substitute peanut butter pieces or even chocolate pieces for the butterscotch if you’d like.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
This is another great recipe to add to your Super Bowl Treats Plate. Enjoy!
- 1 (12 ounce) package butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13″ x 9″ baking pan with unsalted butter and set aside. In large microwave-safe bowl, combine butterscotch chips, butter, and brown sugar. Heat at 50% power for 2 minutes, then remove and stir. Return to microwave and heat at 100% power for 30 second intervals, stirring after every interval, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Then stir in flour, baking powder, and salt. Add chocolate chips, marshmallows, and walnuts and mix with an electric hand mixer until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until bars are set and pulling away from edges of pan. Cool completely, then cut into bars. Makes about 30 bars.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Make Ahead Cinnamon Buns and Christmas Macarons
- Baking Tips for Clueless Beginners
- Home Candy Making
- Make a Perfect Pie Bird for You Family Party
- 3 Best Burr Grinders Reviews for your Kitchen
- No-Bake Orange Juice Cookies for Kids to Make: Edible Treats to Give Away as Holiday or Thank You Gifts
- How to Replace Eggs in Vegan Recipe
- 5 Best Salad Cookbooks for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Cook N Home Cookware for your Kitchen
- 4 Mouth-Watering Fall Bread Recipes