Cooking for one person can often seem like a chore and a bore, time-consuming and not worth the effort. But these recipes for a cheese savoury dish and a cheese pie take only a few minutes to prepare, cook quickly and provide tasty meals.
They use ingredients that most people will have in their store cupboards. Because the recipes contain no meat, they are suitable for vegetarians. Each recipe provides a good source of protein. Low-fat versions of the recipes can be made using low-fat milk and a milder cheese such as edam.
Cheese Savoury for One Person
This cheese savoury puffs up and browns nicely in a hot oven.
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- pepper and salt
- 75 g grated tasty cheese
- Put breadcrumbs and milk in a small saucepan.
- Add lightly beaten egg yolk. Heat gently but do not boil.
- Take pan from heat and add butter and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat egg white till stiff peaks form.
- When the yolk mixture has cooled a little, carefully fold in the egg white.
- Grease a small pie dish and pour in the mixture.
- Bake in a hot oven – 200 degrees Celsius – for 20 minutes.
Cooking for One: Cheese Pie
Eggs and potatoes are the main ingredients in this tasty cheese pie recipe.
- 2 small potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sauce (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- sprig chopped parsley
- Boil potatoes and slice thickly.
- Boil eggs till hard and slice thickly.
- Place potato and egg slices in a small greased pie dish.
- Make the white sauce, add the cheese and parsley and stir till cheese melts.
- Pour sauce over potato and eggs and sprinkle over a layer of dried breadcrumbs.
- Dot with butter.
- Grill for a few minutes until top is nicely browned and pie is heated through.
White Sauce Recipe
This white sauce recipe is very versatile as it can have other ingredients such as grated cheese, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms and chopped herbs added to it for different flavours. It can be poured over savoury pancakes, used as a topping for baked pasta dishes and as a sauce for vegetables such as cauliflower.
Ingredients to make one cup of white sauce in the microwave:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- In a microwave-proof jug, melt the butter on High for 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour.
- Stir in half the milk. Microwave on High for 1 minute.
- Add rest of milk. Stir well to combine the ingredients.
- Microwave on High for 1 minute. Stir well.
- For a thinner sauce, add a little more milk.
- Other ingredients as suggested above can be added now the sauce is cooked.
These cheese savoury and cheese pie recipes make perfect luncheon or dinner dishes. Combined with a garden salad, they are tasty, quick and easy meals for one person.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- A Look at a Variety of Asian Noodles
- Michigan Apple Harvest: Healthy Goodness
- The Healthiest Way to Boost the Dietary Fiber Content of Your Bread
- 5 Best Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Sets for Your Kitchen
- How can you enjoy a healthy barbecue?
- 5 Best Mary Berry Cookbooks for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Fermentation Crock Reviews And Comparison 2020
- 5 Best Teapots for your Kitchen
- Root Vegetables: Winter Recipes
- Panasonic SD-YR2500 Bread Maker Review