Missing a few ingredients for that luscious-sounding recipe? Use this list of ingredient substitutions for easy cooking tonight.
Even with the help of traditional or online cooking classes, network cooking shows, popular cookbooks or grandma herself, there is still something that can stand in the way of putting a fantastic meal on the table or a yummy cake in the oven: lacking one or more of a recipe’s key ingredients.
Cooking or baking can be daunting enough, without the hassles of fretting over key ingredients which may be missing from the cupboards. Yet rather than worry about missing the exact mark of a recipe, relish the creativity that can come with some simple ingredient substitutions.
Part of learning to cook is also learning to substitute. Below are lists of ingredient substitutions which are sure to make cooking and baking more pleasant.
Cooking: Ingredient Substitutions
- Garlic Clove Substitute (= 1 clove): Use 1 teaspoon garlic salt or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder. (Here are some great garlic presses for you!)
- Minced Onion Substitute (= 2 tablespoons): Use 1 teaspoon onion powder. (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- Chili Sauce Substitute (= 1 cup): Mix together 1 cup tomato sauce, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons vinegar.
- Chili Soy Sauce Substitute (= 1/2 cup): Mix together 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon water.
- Sour Cream Substitute (= 1 cup): Mix together 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 cup plain white yogurt.
- White Wine Substitute (= 1/2 cup): Use 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice.
- Sherry Substitute (= 1/2 cup): Mix together 1 tablespoon vinegar plus enough chicken stock to equal 1/2 cup.
Baking: Ingredient Substitutions
- All-Purpose Flour Substitute (= 1 cup): Use 7/8 cup corn meal or 1 cup rolled oats.
- Cake Flour Substitute (= 1 cup): Sift together 1 cup (minus 2 tablespoons) all purpose flour and two tablespoons cornstarch.
- Heavy Cream Substitute (=1 cup): Mix together 3/4 cup whole milk and 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Molasses Substitute (= 1 cup): Use 1 cup honey.
- Corn Syrup Substitute (= 1 cup): Mix together 1 1/4 cups white sugar and 1/3 cup warm water.
- Honey Substitute (= 1 cup): Mix together 1 1/4 cups white sugar and 1/4 cup warm water.
- Buttermilk Substitute (= 1 cup): Mix together 1 tablespoon vinegar plus enough whole milk to equal 1 cup.
- Egg Substitute (= 1 egg): Mix together 2 egg yolks and 1 tablespoon water.
- Baking Powder Substitute (= 1 teaspoon): Use 2 beaten egg whites.
- Cornstarch Substitute (= 1 tablespoon): Use 2 tablespoons white flour.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- A Few Tricks How To Create Amazing Baked Ornaments
- Take Your Bread to the Next Level by Adding a Little Texture
- 10 Best Oven Mitts Review & Comparison (2020)
- Three More Tools Under Ten Bucks That Will Help You Bake More Professionally
- Yeast Free Pizza Dough Recipe
- 3 Best Burr Grinders Reviews for your Kitchen
- 3 Best Electric Can Openers for your Kitchen (2020)
- Rocky Road Brownies
- Sugar Free Baking Tricks
- 5 Best Canned Baked Beans for your Kitchen