Peanut butter cookies are a popular and classic dessert item. Kids and adults alike enjoy the delicious and rich flavor of the peanut butter in this simple treat. Although you can buy premade peanut butter cookies, homemade peanut butter cookies are relatively easy to make requiring minimal preparation, only basic ingredients, and little clean up.
Peanut butter cookies can be enjoyed in a variety of venues. This simple cookie is a great baking idea for the holidays, such as Christmas or Thanksgiving. These tasty cookies are also a well received treat to serve at any children’s birthday or school party. Peanut butter cookies are also a welcome addition to any family’s cookie jar year round.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
This easy, traditional peanut butter cookie recipe makes rich, flavorful cookies with crisp edges and chewy centers.
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Oven Temperature: 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cooking Time: 10 to 12 minutes per batch
- Makes: About 2 dozen cookies
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium sized mixing bowl
- Small mixing gowl
- Mixing spoon
- Ungreased cookie sheet
- Metal fork
- Small bowl, for rolling dough in white sugar
- Oven mitt
- Wire cooling rack
Ingredients Needed to Traditional, Homemade Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup peanut butter, crunchy or smooth, depending on preference.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- A few tablespoons white sugar to roll cookie dough in
Unsweetened, natural peanut butter is also tasty to use in peanut butter cookies instead of sweetened peanut butter. Peanut butter cookies made with natural peanut butter do not turn out as sweet, but the richer peanut butter flavor more then compensates for using less sugar. If you do use unsweetened, natural peanut butter, make sure to thoroughly mix peanut butter before using, as natural peanut butter tends to separate. You also can use other nut butters when making these cookies, such as almond, cashew, sunflower seed, or soy butter for those who have peanut allergies.
How to Make Classic Homemade Peanut Butter Cookies
- Begin by preheating oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In large bowl, cream together shortening, peanut butter, white sugar, egg, and vanilla extract until well blended.
- In small mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to mix together all-purpose flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Shift dry ingredients into wet ingredients, mixing thoroughly with mixing spoon.
- Make dough into heaping tablespoon sized balls. Roll balls into small bowl of sugar until evenly coated. Place balls a few inches apart on cookie sheet. Using metal fork, press criss-cross pattern on top of cookie.
- Bake in oven until edges are slightly brown. Cool slightly before moving to cooling rack. Cool before serving. When cookies are completely cooled, store in airtight container
These tasty and easy to make peanut butter cookies store well, making them ideal for holiday gift giving. The few ingredients needed and simple process makes this peanut butter cookie recipe a great kid-friendly cooking recipe for young chefs.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Homemade Sugar-Low Christmas Treats
- 10 Best Garlic Press for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Cheese Boards for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Canned Corn for your Kitchen
- Best Cheap Bread Maker under $100
- Lemon Truffle Parfaits: Quick and Easy Spring Dessert Recipe
- Bake Cookies with Kids: Yummy Peanut Butter Cookies that Kids Can Make
- Fresh Pumpkin Cooking Tips and Tricks
- 5 Best Cuisinart Cookware for your Kitchen
- Peppercorn and Rosemary Crusted Baked Pork Loin: Along with Different Seasoning Ideas for Rubbing on a Simple Roast