What better cake decoration for a Thanksgiving school party or a family or social gathering at Thanksgiving than a baked dessert shaped like a Pilgrim hat? Use cupcakes, icing, and small Styrofoam plates in this recipe to create this delicious Thanksgiving-themed treat.
To keep children safe, parents should be in charge of moving the cupcakes in and out of the hot oven. Depending on age and level of ability, children can get involved in this recipe by:
- mixing the cupcake batter
- preparing the cupcake trays
- stacking the cupcakes
- frosting and icing the cupcake hat
How to Make the Parts of a Pilgrim Hat Cupcake Dessert
- Use muffin pans with cups of three different sizes, such as the Wilton 6-Cup Jumbo Muffin Pan, the Wilton 12-Cup Regular Muffin Pan, and the Wilton 12-Cup Mini Muffin Pan.
- Mix up and bake cupcakes in your favorite flavor. Make even amounts of cupcakes of each different size.
- Let cupcakes cool.
How to Assemble a Pilgrim Hat Cupcake Dessert
- Place three cupcakes (small, medium, large) on a plate.
- Let an adult with a sharp bread knife gently slice a layer off of the top of each cupcake so that they will be level enough to stack evenly.
- Place a small (6 inch) Styrofoam plate upside down on a small plate.
- Place the largest cupcake upside-down in the middle of the Styrofoam plate.
- Place the second-largest cupcake upside-down on top of the largest cupcake, with the sides matched as evenly as possible to create a smooth slope down.
- Gently stick a 4-inch lollipop stick through the center of the two cupcakes, leaving about half-an-inch sticking up from the top.
- Place the smallest cupcake upside-down on the top, covering the lollipop stick end completely.
- If necessary, have an adult use the bread knife again to level the top (the bottom of the smallest cupcake) to create the flat top of the Pilgrim hat.
NOTE: Thin layers of icing can be used instead of lollipop sticks to “glue” the layers of cupcakes together.
How to Decorate a Pilgrim Hat Cupcake Dessert
- Completely cover the sides of the cupcakes and the exposed part of the Styrofoam plate with chocolate frosting or royal or buttercream icing tinted brown or black.
- Pipe a stripe of royal icing around the bottom above the hat “brim” to serve as the hat band.
- Pipe yellow icing on one part of the hat band in the outline of a square to serve as the hat buckle.
For a more polished, but more difficult to achieve look, drape chocolate marshmallow fondant or storebought fondant tinted brown or black over the cupcake stack, cut out a strip of fondant in a different color for the band, and mold or cut out a fondant buckle.
To serve this dessert, let the icing and frosting decorations harden slightly, and then gently slip a wide spatula under the Styrofoam plate to transfer the Pilgrim hat delicious cupcake dessert to a serving or presentation plate. You can also pipe the names of party guests on the hats and use them instead of place cards at a holiday table.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Cooking Light Complete Cookbook Review
- Edible Flower Trends & Important Reminders
- 5 Best Kitchen Pantries for Your Kitchen
- Easy 4 Ways for Reheating Tamales
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- NuWave 10-quart Digital Air fryer
- 5 Best Meat Grinders for your Kitchen
- How to Best Reheat Ribs
- 5 Best Cookie Sheets for your Kitchen
- Cajun Rub – Origin, Uses, Tips