Recently I have been experimenting a lot with Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry sheets and came up with this recipe of Garlic Pesto Swirls. The ingredients I chose for this amazing appetizer are based on keeping my mother’s taste in mind. In my list of successful experiments Garlic Pesto Swirls has become my first choice for this Mother’s Day. This creation reminds me of the beautiful moments I spent with my mother cooking and experimenting in the kitchen. Baking Garlic Pesto Swirls for mom reminds me how my mother used to cook for us every day with so much love and passion and still keeps creating something new every time she gets a chance. This is my original creation especially for her. My mother loves Garlic presses and also anything new that her kids create in the kitchen. They are visually appealing too. Also, Garlic Pesto Swirls are something she might not guess that I will make for her this mother’s day. It will come as a good surprise. Moreover, these Garlic Pesto Swirls as I call them are pretty easy and quick to make.
Here is how you can make this lovely appetizer. You can enjoy this anytime of the day .
- Makes 10-12 Garlic Pesto Swirls (Here are some great garlic presses for you!)
- Pepperidge Farm Puff pastry sheet– 1 sheet (1 box has two sheets)
- Pesto: Main ingredients preferably garlic and basil (source)-3 tablespoon
- Flour for cutting board -1-2 tablespoons
- Red Chilli Flakes (if prefer more heat)
- Pepper Jack Cheese: 4tbs grated
Step- by- step instructions
- Defrost the Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry sheet as per pack’s instruction. I prefer to take the pastry sheet out of the cardboard box and then place it on the cutting board with still the inside wrapper on.
- After about 40 minutes when it feels it is workable take out the puff pastry sheet. Flatten it on the cutting board surface.
- Apply a layer of Pesto in such a way that you leave about one inch at all sides. This prevents any filling to come out when you roll the pastry sheet.
- Now sprinkle the Pepper Jack Cheese, red chilli flakes.
- Beginning at the side nearest to you, start making a tight roll.
- Once completely rolled wrap it in cling film. Keep in the refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Once the roll feels firm place it on the cutting board. Using a sharp knife cut about one inch slices.
- Refer Picture. You will be able to see the lovely filling in a swirl and hence the name Garlic Pesto Swirls.
- Place a layer of parchment paper on a cookie sheet pan. Keep the Garlic Pesto Swirls on the pan keeping about 2 inches of space between them. Bake them for about 20 minutes, turning them once half way. Bake till they are golden brown.
Serve hot. Garlic Pesto Swirls tastes great with any dipping sauce of your choice or even without it.
Serve Hot and accompany with drink of your mother’s choice. It goes well with juices made from the best juicer, wines or even with Asian Tea. To give a special touch place a Mother’s Day card in the tray expressing your love and gratitude.
Garlic Pesto Swirls look beautiful whichever way you present. You can stack them in a bowl or slightly overlapping on each other in a white appetizer serving tray with a dipping sauce of your mother’s choice in a bowl.
-For those who prefer strong garlic taste you might add about 2 cloves fresh crushed and finely chopped garlic in the filling for Garlic Pesto Swirls.
-Pepper Jack cheese helps get a little spicy flavor in these Garlic Pesto Swirls. You can replace pepper jack cheese by finely grated Parmesean cheese if you prefer mild flavor.
-To adapt this recipe for more Asian Indian Taste replace pesto by 1 tablespoon of coriander and mint chutney, add chaat masala (very commonly used spice in Asian Indian cuisine, easily available in Asian Indian Stores). Reduce the cheese quantity to half the amount. Cheese helps bind it.
-If you prefer it little darker brown you might want to brush the roll with egg wash. Egg wash is made by beating an egg with about 2 tablespoon of water.
-To prepare it in advance you can keep the roll nicely wrapped in cling film and cut the slices when you are ready to bake.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!