Pumpkin Pie… think about it…. do you ever wonder who the first person was to crack open a pumpkin and think it could be made into a dessert? It’s kind of like the first person to eat an artichoke; I love that kind of imagination.
Pumpkin Pie is the classic Thanksgiving dessert. There are thousands, if not millions, of variations floating all over the country. You can have plain pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie with a pecan crust, pumpkin pie over a layer of cheesecake, pumpkin ice cream pie, pumpkin mousse pie – but the classic recipe remains the best.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In large mixing bowl, beat pumpkin until smooth. Gradually add the sweetened condensed milk, beating until smooth. Add brown sugar, honey, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and beat just until combined.
Pour mixture into pie shell. Lightly rap the filled pie on the counter to help expel excess air bubbles. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 40-50 minutes longer or until the pie filling is set and the crust is golden brown. Cool on wire rack, then cover and store in the refrigerator until serving time. Let stand out of the fridge for 30 minutes before slicing. Top with Cinnamon Whipped Cream: In small bowl combine 2/3 cup whipping cream with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar , 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Store in refrigerator – use to top slices of pie. Serves 8
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Types of Bread You Can Make with a Bread Cloche
- Easy and Quick Savory Baked Winter Squash Recipe
- Recipes and Ideas for Baking Kid-Friendly Bars: Tasty, Quick Alternatives to Cookies for Children of All Ages
- How to Use a Turkey Cooker, No Oil Needed
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Vegetarian Beer Pairing: A Night Out at the Grill
- How to Add Smoky Flavor to Birds Cooked in an Infrared Oil Less Turkey Fryer
- St. Patrick’s Day Dessert Recipes
- 5 Best Cuisinart Cookware for your Kitchen
- 10 Best Ice Cream Maker of 2020