If you’ve run out of easy breakfast recipes, try making baked eggs. These miniature egg casseroles let you avoid the messy clean-up that results when you fry or poach them on the stove. In addition, you can customize the recipe in a million different ways—nearly anything you can add to most egg recipes will bake quickly and easily with eggs in a cup.
Baked Eggs Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 2 oz butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices white bread
- Toast the slices of white bread until each one is brown on both sides with the best 4 slice toaster. Crumble; spread the bread crumbs evenly at the bottom of four microwavable cups.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Set a baking sheet on the oven rack as platform to support the cups.
- Slice the butter into four sections and drop one into each cup. Break the eggs over the butter and bread; add salt and pepper as desired.
- Carefully set the cups on the baking sheet. Bake for fifteen minutes, then gently poke each egg yolk with a fork to determine if they are fully cooked. Remove and serve when the yolks are solid.
Alternatively, you can cook them in an egg cooker.
Baked Egg Variations
- Eggs in Milk: Add two tablespoons of whole milk or half-and-half to the eggs before baking. This boils the eggs in milk and adds a creamy flavor to the dish.
- Mini Huevos Rancheros: Add two tablespoons of salsa, one tablespoon of guacamole and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese to each cup. Sprinkle with Tabasco sauce as desired.
- Eggs Puttanesca: Add three anchovy fillets, one tablespoon of capers and one tablespoon of olive oil to each cup. (Here’s some olive oil dispensers you may like)
- Healthier Baked Eggs: Use two tablespoons olive oil as a substitute for the butter. You can also use crumbled wheat bread instead of white bread.
- Full Breakfast Eggs: Add two slices of cooked bacon to each cup before baking.
- Easy Eggs Benedict: Add one slice of ham to each cup. While baking, make easy hollandaise sauce in a blender. Drizzle over the eggs before serving.
- Baked Egg Burgers: Add a small amount of cooked ground beef and cheddar cheese to each cup before baking.
- Eggs Bolognese: Add two tablespoons of tomato sauce and a handful of cooked ground beef to each cup before baking.
- Portuguese Eggs: Add two tablespoons of fresh cilantro and half a clove of sliced garlic to each cup before baking. Inspired by Portuguese Egg and Garlic Soup. (Here are some great garlic presses for you!)
- Vegetable Eggs: Add one tablespoon chopped scallions, one tablespoon fresh cilantro and two tablespoons sliced tomatoes to each cup before baking.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- 5 Best Cabinet Pulls for your Kitchen
- Benefits of Turbinado Sugar & Difference
- 13 Must Have Gadgets for Your Smart Home & Kitchen
- How to maximize the use value of your baking dishes
- Pain d’epices with confit orange
- Healthy Egg Free Baking Options: Cooking Without Eggs in Baked Goods
- Thanksgiving Baked Potato Casserole: Cheesy Potato Dish Will Become a Holiday Classic
- 3 Best Matcha Tea Brands (2020 Guide)
- Family Apple Pie Great for Thanksgiving
- 10 Best Roaster Ovens Reviews