Being a vegetarian is easy and one needn’t feel deprived by not having meat in the diet when there are tasty vegetarian recipes like this one. For those who are new to vegetarianism, it is important to ensure that meals contain the full range of proteins, vitamins, minerals and essential fats for ensuring on-going health.
Recommended reading: Best Paleo Diet Cookbooks
This recipe makes a great starter or a filling “supper dish” and takes approximately 20 minutes to assemble and 10 minutes to grill. For a starter one large cheesy mushroom per person is sufficient, and for a supper dish two or three per person, depending upon how hungry they are!
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
These Cheesy Corn Bakes contain protein (cheese and mushrooms) as well as fibre and vitamins in the sweet corn. Using olive oil provides Omega 9 beneficial fats. Serve with a salad for extra vitamins and minerals.
- 6 Large Open Mushrooms
- Freshly cooked corn on the cob, or a tin of sweet corn kernels
- 25g butter (a generous knob of butter)
- 1 serving spoon of plain flour
- I cup of milk
- Salt and pepper
- 50g cooking cheese (e.g. cheddar)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil (for frying mushrooms) (Here’s some olive oil dispensers you may like)
Gently fry the mushrooms in a non stick pan with the olive oil. Place the mushrooms open side up on a baking dish in a warm oven.
- First make a white sauce by melting the butter in a thick bottomed pan and then blend in the tablespoon of flour. Sizzle the mix without browning for 30 seconds to cook out the startches in the flour.
- Take the pan off the ring. Add the milk and blend carefully stirring all the time. Return to the heat and allow the sauce to thicken – a fairly thick sauce is needed for this recipe.
- Add the salt and pepper to season.
- Add the cheese to the sauce and put to one side while you prepare the sweet corn.
Cooking the Sweet Corn
- Cook the corn (boil for 10 minutes or microwave for 2 minutes) and then strip the kernels off the cob. Put the kernels into a container and using your hand blender, pulp the kernels slightly to make the texture smoother.
- Place the blended corn kernels into the cheesy sauce, which should be a fairly stiff mix.
Assembling the Dish
Place a tablespoon of the mix on top of each open mushroom and put under a hot grill to brown.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- 10 Best Arborio Rice Reviews & Rating (2020)
- 5 Delicious Fall Breakfast Foods
- My Special Brownie Recipe
- A Grocery List of Pantry Food
- 5 Best Kitchen Sinks for your Kitchen
- Banquet Select Recipes Herb Grilled Chicken Breast
- Make a Perfect Pie Bird for You Family Party
- Easter Sunday Salad Recipe: No Cooking
- Prepare Amazing Valentine’s Day Cocktails
- Honey Whole Wheat Bread: The Best Bread Ever