This dish will impress even the most skeptical of tofu critic. Even more, playing with this food is encouraged! What is more fun than dunking crispy baked nuggets into a variety of delectable dipping sauces?
Kids will enjoy helping to prepare them, but also the taste of these tofu nuggets – it will get extremely gooey. But that’s half the fun! If you prefer little hands stay clean, the traditional “shaking” method can be used – simply coat tofu then toss in a plastic bag with seasonings before baking.
Make tofu nuggets a meal with mashed potatoes or root vegetables, a fresh green salad, or the traditional pub fare of carrot and celery sticks with blue cheese dressing.
Recommended Reading: 25 Gadgets That Make Healthy Cooking Easy
In true tofu style, these cubes may be seasoned according to taste. If there is no fresh tofu on hand, try substituting with TSP chunks as well. Simply rehydrate chunks briefly in water (several minutes, or mostly hydrated) before coating. The finished product will be chewier and more jerky-like, but less messy and still delicious.
Recipe: Crispy Baked Tofu Nuggets
- 1 brick (12 or 16 ounces) extra-firm tofu (low-fat is fine)
- ¼ cup (approximate) low-fat mayonnaise-type dressing (such as Miracle Whip) or vegan mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup (approximate) dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast, optional
- 1-2 tsp. Italian seasoning, to taste, or other seasoning of choice (try garlic or onion powder) (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- Press or drain tofu.
- Cut into 1-inch (about 2 cm) cubes.
- Set out two flat bowls or trays, and one cookie sheet.
- In the first bowl, measure salad dressing or vegan mayonnaise. In second bowl, mix together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast, and seasoning/herbs.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Spray a large cookie sheet with olive oil or cooking spray. (Here’s some olive oil dispensers you may like)
- Dip a tofu cube and into the first bowl of dressing, rolling it around so all sides are covered, but not gloopy.
- Next, roll tofu in the breadcrumb mixture, ensuring all sides are coated. Place on oiled cookie sheet.
- Repeat until all cubes are covered.
- If using the bag-shaking method, steps 7-9 should be replaced with tossing the dressing-coated cubes in a large resealable plastic bag with the breadcrumb mixture. Note that this method will yield more uneven coverage.
- Bake tofu cubes approximately 15-30 minutes, turning cubes once about halfway through. When done, cubes should be very light golden brown and crispy.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce: barbecue sauce, ranch dressing, and ketchup are favorites.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- How to lose weight eating cookies
- Tips on Baking Failures – Great for Beginners
- Tasty Stuffed Leaf Cookies Recipe
- 10 Best Toaster Oven Reviews And Comparison
- Experience of What the 2016 Long Island Clambake Was All About
- 9 Great Tips from Cooking Shows
- 5 Best Hot Water Dispensers for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Wet Grinders for your Kitchen
- No-Bake Smores cookies & Thin mint copycat
- 5 Best Wok Cookbooks for your Kitchen