After being married for several years, I now have a few easy, fail-proof go-to recipes. Ones that I can make with my eyes closed, I know everyone will eat – and like, and I know I probably have everything I need already in the kitchen. One of the best recipes I have added to my files is my Fair-Proof Baked Chicken with Crispy Skin. Who doesn’t love salty, crispy, crunchy, chicken skin? I’ll show you how to make it in just a few minutes of prep work.
- Bone-in chicken pieces (I use thighs and legs)
- Vegetable oil
- Garlic powder (Here are some great garlic presses for you!)
- Kosher salt (Check out our recommended salt and pepper grinder sets!)
- White pepper
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven heats up, make your spice blend. Mix 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, one teaspoon of cumin, one teaspoon of garlic powder, one teaspoon of paprika, ½ teaspoon of oregano, and ¼ teaspoon each of basil and white pepper. Depending on how many pieces of chicken you are going to make and how strong of a flavor you like on your chicken, you can reserve some of this spice blend for another time.
I use bone-in skin-on chicken for this. I use only drumsticks and thighs, as they seem to cook in about the same time. You could use chicken breasts as well, but you would probably have to cook it longer and it may dry out a bit. Pat dry your chicken with a paper towel, as this will help you get that crispy skin that is so delicious.
Take your spice blend and add some vegetable oil to it, until its somewhere between watery and pasty. You want it to stay put on the chicken, so less is more when it comes to the amount of oil you use. Once you have a nice consistency, rub it all over the chicken. You need to get it under the skin, as well as on the outside of the skin. Be generous, and really rub it in. Place chicken on a broiler pan sprayed with cooking spray so it doesn’t stick, and pop it on the oven. I usually cook mine for about an hour, check to make sure the juices run clear and then leave it in the oven as long a little longer so the skin gets nice a crispy. I usually serve this with white rice and a garlic lemon string bean salad, or with a panzanella salad. Enjoy!
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- 5 Best BRITA Water Filter Pitcher for your Kitchen
- Zesty Guacamole Salsa Recipe
- Tips and Tricks for Baking Homemade Bread: Understanding Basic Breadmaking Techniques
- Make Your Own Healthy Cheesecake
- Cooking Is a Passion Cause We Love to Eat
- 5 Best Cuisinart Pressure Cookers for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Programmable Coffee Makers for your Kitchen
- Prepare the Best Cookies with These Simple Tips
- Baking Your Own Bread
- 10 Best Ladles (Soup Spoons) for Your Kitchen (2020)