Home made cakes can be just as good as the store bought kind. One major difference is the cost. There are many different variations of a flag cake. In this recipe I will give you suggestions on how to make and bake a flag cake using a variety of techniques and ingredients.
Recommended reading: Best Cake Cookbooks
- cake mix (preferred flavor; though multi-colored (aka confetti) is appropriately festive)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- white frosting (some people use whipped cream, or even softened cream cheese)
- white chocolate kisses
- blue sprinkles (some people use blue berries)
- red sprinkles (some people use strawberries or cranberries)
- 9X13 inch baking pan
The first thing you will want to is prepare the cake mix according to package directions…mixing together the cake mix, oil, eggs, and water, being careful not to over blend. If you mix it for too long, and too well, it may cause holes in your cake.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Recommended reading: Best Cake Decorating Kits
Apply a non-stick spray to the bottom and sides of your pan; pour in mix. Cook for recommended time (approx. 35 minutes), and be sure it is done before you take it out of the convection oven. This can be done by poking the thickest part of the cake all the way through with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, then it is done.
Let cake cool before you remove it from the pan or it will stick to the bottom. And when you are preparing to remove the cake from the pan, be sure you attempt this on a flat surface.
Evenly spread white frosting all over cake.
In upper left corner create a 6X6 (approximately) square with blue sprinkles. Add 50 white chocolate kisses. (as mentioned above, some people just use blueberries for this task, and omit the white chocolate kisses)
For red stripes, take a knife or frosting spreader, and draw lines lengthwise through the cake to help with separation. You should have twelve lines that are approximately the same width. Hole the frosting spreader along the side of the lined indentures and sprinkle red onto the first and last lines. This will help keep the sprinkles where you want them. Then decorate every other strip red. (as mentioned above, some people use strawberries or cranberries for this task. You could also opt for a red candy of some sort) In the end you will have thirteen stripes: 7-red, and 6-white.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- How to Boost the Fiber Content of Your Muffins Quickly and Easily
- How to Easily Rehydrate Sundried Tomatoes (and 2 Delicious Recipes)
- 7 BENEFITS OF CAR RENTAL RESERVATIONS
- Choose the Right Chocolate When Baking
- 5 Best Instant Ramen of 2020
- Simple Christmas Cookie Recipe
- How to Make Baked Potatoes: Cooking Jacket Potatoes in Microwaves, Ovens and Camp Fires
- Three Ways To Bake Tofu: Three delicious recipes high in vegetable protein!
- Tasty Strawberry Fillings and Homemade Whipped Cream Tips
- 5 Best Red Toasters for your Kitchen