Fruit pies, such as this classic, homemade cherry pie, are traditional around the holiday season and a popular dessert for the whole family. This delicious homemade cherry pie recipe is a great dessert for Christmas or Thanksgiving. This tasty dessert is also well received for any special family dinner year round.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
This recipe for homemade cherry pie is particularly full of flavor, infused with various autumnal spices and a touch of almond extract.
Homemade Cherry Pie
- 30 minutes
- 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- 45-55 minutes
Supplies Needed for this Tasty Dessert:
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium sized mixing bowl
- Metal fork
- Metal grater, to zest orange
- 9 inch pie dish
- Small bowl for milk
- Basting brush
- Oven mitt
- Wire cooling rack
- Aluminum foil or pie crust ring, to keep edges from burning.
Recommended reading: Best Cherry Pitters
Ingredients Needed for Traditional, Homemade Cherry Pie
- 4 cups fresh or frozen pitted cherries. If using frozen, make sure to thaw thoroughly before using
- Zest of one orange
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- About a tablespoon of milk
Recipe for 2 9 inch piecrusts
How to Make a Basic, Traditional Cherry Pie
- Use the best hand mixer to mix cherries, white sugar, flour, vanilla, almond extract, cinnamon, and cardamom in medium sized mixing bowl.
- Using metal grater, zest orange. Mix thoroughly.
- Put bottom crust into pie pan. Add fruit mixture, spreading evenly. Add top crust, making sure that sides are well-sealed when pinching edges. Consider brushing a thin layer of milk on the edges of the first crust to ensure sides of pie are securely sealed to prevent leakage. For a golden crust, consider lightly brushing the top of the pie with milk before baking. Make sure to add several slits in the top of pie crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes or up to an hour, depending on how much time is needed for the pie to completely bake. Bake pie on the middle shelf in oven to ensure even baking. To prevent the edges of the pie from burning, consider using a pie shield or put strips of aluminum foil around the edges of the pie. Remove pie shield or aluminum foil the last 15 to 20 minutes of baking. Cherry pie should be light brown on top when finished.
- Let cherry pie cool thoroughly before serving.
What to Serve with Tasty, Classic Cherry Pie
This delicious fruit dessert is tasty alone or served with one of the following toppings. A little whipped cream, crème fraiche, or a scoop of traditional vanilla ice cream are all delicious on top of a cherry pie.
If looking for a healthier option to top your homemade cherry dessert, consider serving cherry pie with a generous dollop of unsweetened, nonfat Greek yogurt, or a tablespoon of a low fat whipped topping.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Adapting Your Muffin Tin
- Oster 2-Pound Expressbake Bread Machine Review
- Homemade Dark Chocolate and Basil Fondants: Sponge Pudding with Fragrant Basil and White Chocolate Sauce Recipe
- How To Cook Frozen Food In An Airfryer
- 5 Best Sugar Shakers for your Kitchen
- Easy Cookie Baking Basics: From Mix or Scratch Success With Little Effort
- Are Birds Prepared with a Turkey Airfryer just as Good as Oven-Baked Turkeys?
- Pepperidge Farm Products Review
- 5 Minutes Baked Potatoes Recipe
- 5 Best Gotham Steel Pans for your Kitchen