Apple crisp is a quick and easy dessert idea popular with kids and adults alike. Even homemade crisp, using real apples, requires relatively little preparation time and easy clean up. App crisp is especially festive and popular during the autumnal months when apples are seasonal and slightly cheaper. Still, apple crumbles are a tasty and well received dessert all year round.
- 20 minutes
- 350 degrees Fahrenheit..
- 20 to 25 minutes
Recommended reading: Best Apple Peelers
- Cutting board
- Kitchen Utility knife
- Small knife or vegetable peeler to peel and core apples
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium sized mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- One 9 by 9 by 2 inch glass cooking dish.
- Pot holders or oven mitts, for removing hot dish from oven
Ingredients Needed to Make Classic Homemade Apple Crisp
- About 3 to 4 large cooking apples, about 5 cups peeled, cored, and chopped.
- ¼ to ½ cup brown sugar, depending on preference for how sweet the crisp should be
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon all-spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel, optional
- ¼ cup water
- 1/3 cup water
One Recipe for Basic Crisp or Crumble Fruit Dessert Topping.
There are many different kinds cooking apples that are delicious in baked goods, such as this simple apple crisp recipe. Bramley apples, Granny Smiths, Jonathans, Honey Crisps, Pink Lady, Royal Gala, Golden Delicious, and McIntosh apples are all good cooking apples.
How to Make Easy, Traditional, and Homemade Apple Crisp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit..
- Begin by peeling and coring apples. Chop into thin slices using cutting board and chopping knife. Put chopped apples into mixing bowl.
- Add all-purpose flour, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and all-spice. For an extra flavorsome dessert consider adding some nutmeg, cardamom, or ground cloves as well. Mix thoroughly using mixing spoon.
- Add ¼ cup water, vanilla, and lemon peel and juice, if desired, to bowl of apples. Again mix thoroughly.
- Poor fruit into glass dish. Spread evenly in dish. Add other 1/3 cup water, drizzling over fruit.
- Make crumble topping. Add to fruit.
- Put apple crumble onto center rack of the oven. Cook until fruit is tender, around 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
What to Serve with Easy Home-style Apple Crumble
Apple crumble is tasty served alone, fresh from the oven. Still, there are many tasty toppings to add to apple crumble for a scrumptious and easy dessert. Vanilla ice cream is traditionally served with apple desserts, such as apple pie or apple crisp. Whipped topping or cream is also tasty on apple crisp. Crème fraiche is also a tasty topping for apple crumble.
For a healthy topping to serve with your apple crisp, consider serving with nonfat, unsweetened Greek yogurt. Fat-free whipped topping is another low-fat option to top your apple crisp.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Healthy Food Substitutions for Everyday Cooking Recipes
- Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Review
- What is a Trivet? Definition and Reviews. Updated 2020
- Christmas Cookie Baking Recollections
- Prepare Delicious Harvest Breakfast Bread
- Edible, Bread Dough Easter Baskets: A Fun Easter Craft for All Ages
- Slow Cooked Meat Dishes Served Directly On the Table in a Tagine
- Coconut Cake Recipe Perfect for Individuals with Diabetes
- 5 Delicious Fall Breakfast Foods
- Making Homemade Baked Beans: An Easy and Delicious Recipe for Beans