Baking is fun especially when you have a recipe that has simple instructions. Being able to whip one up fast leaves time for you to focus on the kids, dinner or any other circumstance that might arise during the day. An applesauce cake is delicious and a healthy change from most frosted cakes. A nice easy dessert that the whole family will enjoy whether it is baked for a special occasion, holiday, party or just to say you love them.
Recommended reading: Best Cake Cookbooks
Right now all the stores are having great sales. Spring and Easter times provide the stores such as the local Winona SuperValu , the Grocery Basketand Spain’s with an opportunity to give their customers a break on prices at the holidays beside their regular sales throughout the year. Take advantage of their deals, stock up on some items you can seal and store that will keep in the pantry. Then whenever the mood hits you and cake is on your mind you will have all the ingredients on hand and ready to satisfy that desire for a delicious and easy applesauce cake.
Recommended reading: Best Cake Decorating Kits
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups applesauce
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ cups raisins or nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350′.
- Grease and flour a tube pan or a Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, use the best hand mixer to mix all the other ingredients together leaving the raisins or nuts aside till later.
- After mixing the cake batter well, fold in the raisins or nuts with a spoon or spatula.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until center of cake is cooked through.
- Remove cake pan from oven and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Then remove cake and place right side up upon a cooling rack.
- When cake is completely cooled transfer it to a Tupperware cake taker, platter or cake dish.
Choose the nut that is your favorite to add to this recipe. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top of the cake before serving. A scoop of vanilla on top or next to the serving slice gives your guest a delicious dessert every time.
Recommended reading: Best Apple Peelers
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!