When we think of picnics, images of fried chicken, sandwiches, chips and cookies spring to mind. However, packing low-calorie foods for your picnic doesn’t have to be difficult. Read on to discover some easy low-calorie recipes for picnics.
Cucumber sandwiches are refreshing and delicious picnic fare, not to mention easy to prepare. Follow this recipe for a low-calorie picnic version of this classic sandwich.
- Whole grain bread
- low-fat cream cheese
- cucumber slices (we slice them with the best electric spiralizer)
- tomato slices (Here’s some awesome spiralizers to use!)
- avocado slices
Spread cream cheese on one side of whole grain bread. Arrange cucumber slices on top of the cream cheese in a single layer. Add tomato and avocado slices as desired. If your avocado isn’t already sliced, use an avocado slicer on a fresh avocado. Top with remaining bread and serve immediately.
Recommended reading: Best Paleo Diet Cookbooks
All ingredients can be taken on the picnic separately and easily assembled into sandwiches on site.
Recommended reading: Best Mediterranean Cookbooks
Low Fat Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is a great idea for picnics. The classic version of this beloved lunch time treat can be filled with fat. Follow this recipe for a low-calorie picnic version of chicken salad that your whole family will love.
- ½ cup non-fat plain yogurt (we make our own in the best yogurt maker)
- one tablespoon fat-free mayo
- one teaspoon sugar
- two teaspoons lemon juice
- one and a half teaspoons spicy mustard
- two cups diced cooked chicken
- one third cup diced celery
- salt and pepper to taste (Check out our recommended salt and pepper grinder sets!)
- whole wheat bread (we make our own in the best bread maker)
- lettuce and tomato to garnish
Mix all ingredients together and blend in a food processor or blender until desired consistency is achieved. Spread onto whole wheat bread and top with lettuce leaves and tomato slices if desired.
This chicken salad can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. Take a container with you on your picnic along with bread, lettuce and tomatoes for an easy to assemble low-fat chicken salad sandwich.
Recommended reading: Best ketogenic cookbooks
Picnic Potato Salad
Follow this recipe for a low-calorie picnic favorite. You simply can’t have a picnic without the potato salad but you can keep it low-calorie.
- 1 ½ pounds cubed potatoes
- two chopped hard boiled eggs
- ½ cup fat free sour cream
- ½ cup fat free mayo
- one tablespoon spicy mustard
- ¼ cup chopped green onions (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
Cook potatoes until tender in boiling water. Drain and allow to cool completely. Add hard boiled eggs made in best egg cooker. Mix sour cream, mayo, mustard and green onions together in a separate container. Combine potato and egg mixture with sour cream mixture and mix well with hand mixer. Cover and chill.
This potato salad should be prepared ahead of time and kept chilled in a cooler until ready to serve.
Vegetable Dip with Crudités
Vegetable dip is a wonderful low-fat picnic idea. Serve with carrot sticks, celery sticks and/or fresh broccoli and cauliflower pieces. Follow this recipe for a low-calorie picnic version of this classic finger food.
- ½ cup non fat plain yogurt
- one cup low fat mayonnaise or miracle whip
- one package Italian dressing mix or ranch dressing mix
- four teaspoons vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly, cover and chill.
This vegetable dip should be made ahead of time and chilled, then taken on the picnic and served with fresh veggies.
Low-Calorie Fruit Dip
Fruit dip is a great way to spice up fresh fruit. Follow this low-fat picnic recipe to create a low-calorie version of this classic family-favorite.
- one cup non-fat plain yogurt
- two tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- two tablespoons honey
Mix ingredients together thoroughly, cover and chill.
This fruit dip should be made ahead of time and chilled, then taken on the picnic and served with fresh fruits such as apple wedges and pears.
Low Fat Fruit Shortcake
This is a delicious low-calorie picnic recipe that is a hit with kids and adults alike. It’s refreshing on a hot day and super easy to prepare.
- Low-fat angel food cake
- low fat cool whip
Cut a slice of angel food cake and top with strawberries and kiwis. Top the entire thing with some low fat cool whip and serve immediately.
This recipe is easily assembled on site. Just make sure to keep the cool whip and fruit chilled in a cooler until ready to serve.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- A Guide to Growing and Cooking with Herbs
- 5 Best Pasta Cookbooks for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Coffee Grinders for your Kitchen
- Preparing Ready-to-Bake Pizza on the Grill: A Quick and Easy Meal that Keeps the Heat Outside
- 5 Best Stainless-Steel Cookware Sets for your Kitchen
- Health Benefits of Rye Bread
- Making Smart Choices about Green Foods, Banish Brown Bags and Plastic Baggies
- Make Traditional Irish Meatcakes on St. Patrick’s Day
- How to Use Coffee When Baking and Cooking
- The 10 Best Canned Tomatoes (2020)