Redfish are a popular inshore saltwater species in the south. They are also called red drum, puppy drum, channel bass and spottail bass. Fishing for redfish is great fun.
Redfish hit especially well in the spring and are tasty fish for the table. Redfish are a valuable recreational fish and every state that has them has strict size and creel limits, so make sure you know the rules.
- 2 lbs redfish fillets
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- small onion, chopped (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- garlic powder, couple dashes (Here are some great garlic presses for you!)
- salt and pepper, couple dashes each (Check out our recommended salt and pepper grinder sets!)
- olive oil (Here’s some olive oil dispensers you may like)
Place the onion in a frying pan with enough olive oil to sauté it.
Meanwhile, whisk the egg in a bowl. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, and a dash each of the seasonings. Coat redfish with egg and roll through crumb mixture.
Increase the temperature in the frying pan to med high and fry the redfish quickly with the sautéed onions, adding a little more olive oil if necessary. Don’t overcook; redfish is done when it flakes with a fork. Serve with cocktail sauce on the side. Serves 4. Hell, if you really want, you can throw it in a deep fryer or air fryer for extra crispiness.
Recommended reading: Best Italian Cookbooks
- 2 lb redfish fillets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup onions, sliced (Here’s some awesome spiralizers to use!)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Arrange redfish fillets in a buttered baking dish. Combine sour cream, grated cheese, lemon juice and spread over fish. Top with onion slices. Bake redfish in a 350°F degree oven for 15 minutes or until redfish is tender. Serves 4-5.
Recommended reading: Best Boning and Fish Fillet Knives
Redfish and Clam Chowder
- 1 lb redfish fillet
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 10 ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup of half and half
- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 6-ounce can minced clams
- 3 tablespoons flour
Cut the redfish fillets into 1⁄2-inch squares and chop the bacon into 1⁄2-inch pieces. Cook bacon in the soup pot, kettle or Dutch oven browned. Remove bacon to small dish, leaving bacon drippings in the pot. Add diced potatoes, celery, and onion and cook over medium heat till onion is tender. Add chicken broth. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or till the potatoes are tender. Add 3 cups of milk and the redfish pieces. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for five minutes.
Add the flour to 1⁄2 cup of milk and stir till flour is not lumpy, then stir into the clam chowder. Stir the chowder till the chowder thickens. Add the half and half, clams with all the juice, spinach, and reserved bacon pieces. Simmer for 3-5 minutes. Serves 6.
Recommended reading: Best Mediterranean Cookbooks
Redfish with Shrimp
- 4 redfish fillets
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup butter
- ½ lb small cooked shrimp
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Sprinkle redfish fillets lightly with salt and roll in flour. In small bowl beat eggs and water. Put bread crumbs on a sheet of wax paper. Dip redfish in egg mixture, then coat with bread crumbs. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in frying pan. Sauté redfish until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes.
Meanwhile melt 2 tablespoons butter in separate frying pan and add shrimp. Toss so that each shrimp is coated with butter. Place shrimp down center of each redfish fillet. Place remaining butter in small saucepan and melt, pour over redfish and serve with lemon wedges. Serves 4.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- 5 Best Coffee Storage for your Kitchen
- What Does Eel Taste Like
- 5 Best Wine Decanters For Your Kitchen
- Making Cupcakes for Birthday Party
- Mangia! Favorite Italian Meatball Recipe (meatloaf too!)
- 3 Best Bread Cloches for Your Kitchen
- How to Get the Best Value for Your Money When Shopping for Bread Cloches?
- 5 Best Baking Mat Sets for your Kitchen
- How to Easily Roast Delicious Cremini Mushrooms
- 5 Best Electric Smokers for your Kitchen