Looking for a healthy and tasty winter soup? This one is incredibly simple to make, inexpensive and delicious. Experts recommend that we all get five servings of vegetables a day and this soup makes that easy. It’s a great vegetarian soup that even a non-vegetarian will love.
- 1 medium onion (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- 1 large tomato
- 3 stalks of celery
- 4 cloves of garlic (Here are some great garlic presses for you!)
- 3 large carrots
- 1 can of corn
- a bag of tortilla chips
- cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado
- 3 TBSP olive oil (Here’s some olive oil dispensers you may like)
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 package 2-Alarm Chili spice mix
- 8 cups broth (vegetarian or chicken)
Heat the olive oil in your soup pan over medium heat. Chop the celery and onion into small chunks and sauté until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Slice the garlic cloves into small slices (don’t mince the garlic) and add that to the mix. Be sure to stir often or the garlic will burn. Slice your carrots into thick slices or chunks and add them to the pan, too. (Here’s some awesome spiralizers to use!)
Then sauté for another 5 minutes. Dice the tomato and add it to the mix, sautéing another minute or two. Then add the corn and the broth. If you have any other vegetables, you can dice them and add them to the soup. Potatoes, yams, squash or peppers would all be a good addition. If you have canned beans (kidney beans or black beans), open with can opener, you can add those, too, for a little extra heft and protein.
Recommended reading: Best Paleo Diet Cookbooks
In a separate bowl, combine all the spices in the 2-alarm chili mix except the hot chili pepper. Add only half the chili pepper, or less if you want the soup to be more mild. Mix the spices together and add 2 TBSP to the soup. Let this simmer for a few minutes and then taste. Add more spice mix if necessary.
Let this cook for another 10 minutes so all the flavors blend together. When you’re ready to serve the soup, take a handful of tortilla chips and break them into a bowl. Ladle the soup over the chips. Top with a generous amount of cheese and avocado (sliced with an avocado slicer), and serve!
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Bentgo Kids Children’s Bento Box
- Add some Grated Carrots to Your Muffins
- 10 Best Oven Thermometer Reviews 2020
- Tasty Cottage Cheese Loaf Vegetarian Recipe
- What is the benefit of using ascorbic acid with bread baking?
- Vegetable Oil Substitute
- Cumin – Origin, Uses, Tips
- 5 Best Tortilla Makers for Your Kitchen
- 10 Best Warming Trays of 2020
- How to Prepare the Best Cookies