Here are three recipes for fish commonly caught by inshore Carolina saltwater anglers in the spring. Included are Whole Flounder Poached in Clam Broth, Redfish Creole, and Broiled Bluefish with Black Olives.
Whole Flounder Poached in Clam Broth
- 1 fresh flounder (3 or 4 lbs), whole dressed with head left on
- 1 ¼ cups clam juice
- 1 small onion, diced (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Dash salt (Check out our recommended salt and pepper grinder sets!)
- Dash pepper
- Olive oil (Here’s some olive oil dispensers you may like)
Place whole flounder in a large well-oiled pan (with a lid). Combine the other ingredients and pour over flounder. Cover and poach on medium high heat for 15 minutes or until flounder is done. Do not overcook or fish will be dry. Serves 3-4.
Recommended reading: Best Boning and Fish Fillet Knives
- 1 lb red drum fillets (can also use black drum, sheepshead, or cod)
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 onion, chopped in the best food choppper
- ¾ cup green pepper, chopped
- 6 ounces tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ tablespoon butter
Sauté the celery, onion, and green pepper in butter. Stir in the rest of the ingredients with the exception of the redfish. Place the redfish fillets in the mixture, cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 12 minutes or until fish is done. Serve with white rice. Serves 4.
Recommended reading: Best Redfish Recipes
Grilled Bluefish with Black Olives
This recipe is for thick fillets from chopper bluefish, larger bluefish around 4 to 7 pounds.
- 2 lbs thick bluefish fillets
- 1 ½ cup black olives, drained, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- ½ cup chopped Italian parsley
Mix all ingredients but fish in a bowl. On a well-oiled grill cook bluefish fillets 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Place fish in a microwave-safe pan and spread olive mixture over cooked fish. Microwave for 1 minute, remove fish to platter and serve. Serves 5-6.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!