The corned beef can be tossed together with this side or served separate. Either way you’ll crave it day and night. When you buy a corned beef, you may find a packet of premeasured spices to use when you cook it. You can use this or use what I’ve suggested. Don’t use both. Still use the broth and vegetables though. Be sure your brisket is brined and ready to cook and not cooked for you.
Corned Beef Brisket:
You will need a 2-2 1/2lb corned beef brisket brined and ready to cook. Sear beef in skillet with a little oil then lay in baking pan. Add 2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp ground bay leaves, 2 tsp sea salt, 1 c. beef broth and 1 onion rough chopped with best kitchen utility knife then cover with foil and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Lower oven to 300 and bake for 1 hour or fork tender. Remove with best oven mitts.
Potatoes and Cabbage
- 1 bag fresh shredded potatoes
- 4 c., 1 bag thinly sliced cabbage (Here’s some awesome spiralizers to use!)
- 1 c. shredded carrots
- 1/2 c. chopped onion (Here are some great onion choppers for you!)
- 3 tbl olive oil (Here’s some olive oil dispensers you may like)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic with the best garlic press
- 1/2 tsp cumin and paprika
- salt and pepper to taste (Check out our recommended salt and pepper grinder sets!)
- 1 can German or regular kraut drained.
In a large skillet with sides, heat oil. Add hash browns and onions and cook on medium high until golden. Add cabbage, carrots, garlic, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Turn heat to medium and saute for 5 minutes. Put lid on to steam stirring frequently till tender. Stir in kraut, heat through. Serve with corned beef on side or cut into cubes and stir some into vegetables. Serve with a baguette and a green beer.
You won’t need to use the entire brisket at once. Save some for leftovers to make Reuben’s tomorrow.
Slice the corned beef very thin. Spread a generous amount of special sauce on two lightly toasted slices of rye bread, a slice of Swiss cheese on each piece of bread, pile high with corned beef and potatoes and cabbage. Put sandwich together. Slather the outside of sandwich with butter and grill on both sides. Serve with extra special sauce.
If you’d like, heat up your reuben on your best panini press.
Special Sauce: 1 c. mayonnaise, 1/2 c. ketchup, 3 tbl pepper relish, 1 tsp horseradish, salt and pepper to taste. Combine well.
Serve the Reuben with cheesy potato soup.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Top 5 Best Induction Burner Reviews And Comparison
- Tasty Baked Spaghetti Recipe
- Best Healthy Spring Recipes
- 5 Best Stainless Steel Microwave for your Kitchen
- Banana Bread Muffins are a Whole Lot of Fun
- 5 Best Russian Cookbooks for your Kitchen
- 10 Best Cake Decorating Kits for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Coffee Cookbooks for your Kitchen
- Kitchen Equipment for Bread Baking
- How To Do Bakery Business