When I was five years old, my parents gave me a most memorable Christmas present: my own little baking set. I’ve seen store baking sets for children, but as nice as they are, I like my DIY baker’s set best. Here’s an inexpensive baking kit to make your child’s Christmas merry. You can purchase all these items from Walmart, Family Dollar, Dollar General, Target or other discount store. Include as many of these items as you wish, but you don’t need to add all of them. This baking set is child-sized and features ‘green’ wrapping and packaging as you will see. You will need.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
Medium stainless steel mixing bowl or Anchor Hocking 8 qt. glass Batter Bowl with lid. The Batter Bowl is graduated and doubles as a set of measuring cups plus mixing bowl and storage bowl. (Cost: mixing bowl– $5, Batter Bowl $12.95) Fill the mixing bowl with:
- nested measuring cups (if you chose a regular mixing bowl) ($2)
- measuring spoon set on ring (Cost: $1-$2)
- small bamboo wooden mixing spoon: Bamboo is a renewable resource and makes superb cooking and baking utensils. (Cost: $1)
- rubber scraper: don’t buy plastic scrapers; make sure to buy scraper with a rubber or silicone tip. Consider giving two sizes: one narrow and one wide. Rubber scrapers double as cake frosting knives. (Cost: $1)
- small silicone or wire whisk: Wire whisks work very well for blending liquid ingredients and beating eggs. (Cost: $1)
- assorted cookie cutters in shapes of child’s favorite things (heart, bear, truck, holiday) ($1)
- silicone oven mitt ($1)
- pot rack ($1)
- wire baker’s rack ($1)
- small spatula with heat resistant handle for removing cookies from the cake pan (Cost: $1)
- assorted baking pans (optional- $1-$3 each)
- small non-stick cookie sheet
- small 6 or 12 cup muffin pan
- 12 cup mini-muffin pans
- loaf pan
- mini loaf pan
- square cake pan
- several packages cookie dough, Jiffy muffin mix, Jiffy cake mix
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- Baking bread in bread cloches doesn’t have to be boring
- Speedy Cooking – Marrow & Red Bean Veggie Bake: Five Minute Vegetarian Marrow and Beany Bake Supper Dish
- 5 Best Avocado Oils for your Kitchen
- 5 Best Electric Woks For Your Kitchen
- Irish Guinness Cake Recipe
- 10 Best Lasagna Pans for Your Kitchen (2020)
- Easy Fourth of July Recipes for the Grill
- 5 Best Copper Chef Set Reviews And Comparison 2020
- These Tips Will Help You Bake Your Best Cookies Ever!
- Best Mini Blenders of April 2020 | UK’s Top Picks