Beautiful Elegant Cold Dessert Recipe
Icebox desserts are the old-fashioned name for thick custards that are usually spread over a pie crust and chilled; they set up enough so they cut into neat squares.
I love the combination of sweetened condensed milk with lemon; in fact, that’s the base for my Lemon Meringue Pie. This lemon recipe is even easier because there’s no need to work with egg whites to make a meringue.
Recommended Reading: Get started with baking by reading our Ultimate Guide to the Best Baking Equipment for Beginners!
Make this lemon dessert at least six hours ahead of serving time; it’s the perfect make-ahead treat for any lazy summer day. And dollop each serving with more whipped cream and a lemon slice. Enjoy.
Lemon Icebox Dessert
- 2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
In medium bowl combine graham cracker crumbs with melted butter; blend well. Press into bottom of 13×9″ pan and set aside.
In medium bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated) with lemon juice and beat with wire whisk until blended. In another bowl, beat cream with powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold into lemon mixture and spoon over crumb crust. Cover and chill for at least six hours before serving. Serves 8-10
While you’re here, be sure to check out our kitchen product reviews!
- 20 Apartment-Sized Appliances for Small Kitchens (Updated 2020!)
- How to Make Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
- These Are the Top 10 Dutch Oven Family Recipes
- How to Save Time By Making Icebox Cookies
- Cookbook Review: The Joy of Vegan Baking
- 5 Best 9×13 Pans for your Kitchen
- Edible Flowers in Food Preparation
- Sugar Free Baking Tricks
- 5 Best Oster Blender Reviews 2020
- Pie Tasting Contest Experience